Current Apple User Thinking Of Going Android

mbc230

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
Hello. I am new to this forum and I am currently an Apple IOS user and thinking of going Android. I have looked into trying to figure out to totally remove just the inbox / mailbox feature from the Android IOS. Whether you have a Gmail account, Microsoft Exchange Account. I have three accounts on device that I sync too. I have two Gmail accounts that I only use to view E-mail on and I have the calender and contacts disabled. I have one more account that is a Microsoft Exchange account that I only use for Calender and Contacts and I have the mailbox / Inbox turned off completely. The Apple IOS does this real well, but I have not been able to find a way to do this in Android. I have a Nexus 4, but I am not using it, because of this fact. I almost deleted all my E-mail on my mail server and I did not want to use it until I can find a way to totally just turn off the Microsoft Exchange Mailbox from the device. I saw you can turn off syncing, but that still does not help, because if I manually sync my contacts and calender then it just pulls mail down and it is just annoying. I would like to be able to control what accounts are on my device. I would totally use Android if this was able to be fixed. Does anyone have a hack for this or a fix? Thanks in advance.

cpaight

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
If you're not using it for email, why not lose the Microsoft account entirely and use the built-in contacts and calendar apps? Just a thought.

mbc230

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the feedback, but I need my calender and contacts as I use it for appointments and contact updates so if I lose my phone my stuff is on the mail server and I can just get a new phone to download the contacts and calender items on the new replacement device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can do that as well with Google Calendar and Contacts. It would be a relatively simple matter of exporting your Microsoft calendar and contacts, then importing them to Google. Unless, of course, you can't abandon the Microsoft system for business reasons, or if the Google system doesn't quite do what you want it to do.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I might still be a little unclear on what you're looking for, but one thing you might be able to do is simply Disable the Email app in Android, and just use the Gmail app. Your Calendar and Contacts from the Microsoft account would presumably still be able to sync with the phone's Calendar and Contacts app, but you just won't get any emails, because those would have gone to the Email app. Since you mentioned that you otherwise use Gmail, then there wouldn't be a big reason to use the Email app (which is the one that links to Exchange servers).

Edit: As I think about this more, I'm not sure how easy it will be to sync your Exchange contacts and calendar directly with Google/Android. It might not be supported unless you're able to use Google Apps for Business. Anyone else know for sure? Anyway, if you can't do the sync, then your main alternative is probably to export, then import, as mentioned above.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If your contacts are entered as Account contacts (they can be Account or Phone), they're backed up on Google's cloud. The same with the calendar. Any phone with your gmail address syncs to your contacts and calendar. Lose your phone, change phones, have more than one phone - they're all synced. So are Google Calendar and Google Contacts.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
OR, you can make the connection to the Exchange account then disable mail sync for that account. Sometimes people WAY overthink things. While I agree that using a single Google account is a better way to go, it IS possible to do what the OP asked and have a similar configuration to how his/her iOS was set up.

On my Moto X: Settings > Accounts > Exchange account > tap the account name and uncheck the Email sync.

mbc230

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate all the suggestions, but I want to keep MS Exchange and I have reasons for it. I do not want the inbox/mailbox to be shown at all. I want it to disappear and not viewable on the phone. The sync feature can be disabled, but it can be synced manually, which is what I do not want then it will sync mail, contacts, and calendar manually in turn not what I want. Is there a way to remove the mailbox completely. I do not want to use Gmail Contacts and Calendars as it does not fit my needs. Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol