Google synced junk contacts to phone

Aaron Elliott

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I just got a new phone and I synced it with my google account which I had never done before and it added every email address I had ever sent something to, to my contacts list in my phone. I now have hundreds of (mostly)junk email addresses in my phone, which is just silly. I don't want any of them there, but I don't want to delete all of that information from my google email account either. I do want my google account synced, but I want an empty contact list so I can put only what I want in there, PHONE NUMBERS for people I know, not random email addresses :) Thanks for any help!

Illustrator Joe

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Not sure the type of phone you have. But under contacts and then settings make sure your "contacts to display" are only your Gmail account if that is all you want. Also check the box that says something along the lines of "only display contacts with phones". That should get rid of all those email addresses that are displaying.

ಠ益ಠ

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you sure those email addresses are from your Google account? If you installed Facebook, it's possible you agreed to sync Facebook contacts, which can include lots of email addresses (since a lot of people don't like to put their cellphone numbers in their Facebook information). The same goes for the Yahoo Mail app, if you have it installed.

Aaron Elliott

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
They are definitely from my gmail account. I have not used facebook yet on my phone. There are no contact settings that I can find. I read on a website that you can organize your gmail contacts so that they do not all show up in your phone contacts, but it wasn't explained very clearly or it was dated and I was not able to figure it out.