Sync/Save Android Calendar from old phone to new phone

abttrflykss

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi I have an LG Spectrum 2 and I can't figure out if/how I can get my calendar from my old phone onto my new (same model) phone. I have tried syncing it, but I don't know where it's syncing it to. I don't know if it can be synced/saved to my SD card? I tried syncing it to my gmail calendar, but it only shows the events that are saved as yearly occurrences. (And somehow it's showing saved yearly events from my work Outlook calendar?)

I've tried searching the Forums, but I haven't come across anything that might help me. I did see suggestions for clearing the cache and data in the Calendar Settings, but since I don't have the calendar backed up, I don't want to risk loosing my information.

Any and all suggestions, help, links to similar problems, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I assume you're using the stock Calendar app, right? On your old phone, in the Calendar app, tap the Menu button and check the Calendar settings--there should be a setting to show only certain calendars. See if one of those calendars is specifically from a "Phone Account." Events associated with the Phone Account don't get synced with Google. The Phone Account is intended to sync with other 3rd party programs like Outlook or proprietary sync solutions (like those from HTC or Verizon).

I'm not sure if there's an easy way to get those events into your Google account calendar. With contacts that are associated with the Phone Account, there's a fairly easy way to export those contacts to a file, then import that file into your Google Contacts. But I don't see that option for Calendar. If you're able to sync your Phone Account calendar to Microsoft Outlook, then you could export the calendar from Outlook, then import it into Google. Sorry, I know that sounds complicated, but it isn't too bad.

abttrflykss

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, B. Diddy.
Ok, on my new phone I found where the calendars to display setting is, and it was checkmarked for Phone and my gmail email. I unchecked the Phone and tried to sync the phone, but it doesn't look like it did anything.
On my old phone, I went to the calendar display setting, but when I uncheck the Phone it doesn't show all of my calendar events/appts, just the monthly/yearly recurring ones. They do come back when I recheck the box though.
This is getting frustrating!!

How would I go about syncing the Phone acct into Microsoft Outlook? I have a work email that I access through MO on my phone, but that isn't where I want my appts. I think Hotmail uses Outlook now too? Can I sync to that acct?

Thanks again for your help!

I forgot to add that my old phone is not connecting to the internet. I can still connect to WIFI at home, but I don't know if that will connect it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's the old phone that's important here. The calendar events that are associated with the Phone Account calendar are the ones that you're unable to move to your new phone, right? It's because they won't sync with Google. So we need to find a way to export those events to a file that could subsequently be imported back into Google.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, the stock Calendar app doesn't have a function to export events to a file (like the Contacts/People app does). It looks like LG used to have a program called LG Outlook Sync that could sync the phone calendar with Outlook, but it doesn't seem to be available any more. How many Phone Account events are there? You might be better off manually reentering them into your Google Calendar, and then just using Google from here on.

EDIT: Actually, it's called LG PC Suite, but I don't think it's compatible with your phone: http://www.lg.com/hk_en/support/pc-suite

abttrflykss

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. I have probably a couple hundred events saved in the calendar, :-( Is there a way to save it on a computer and than move it to the new phone?

When I was adding appts on my new phones calendar, I noticed it had 3 choices under "Privacy": Calendar Default, Private, or Public. Would this have something to do with how it's saved on the phone? Oh, I just noticed something else. At the top when I add/edit and appt/event, there is a drop-down that gives the choices of Phone or my gmail address! Maybe I can go back in my old phone and resave them under my gmail? Would they sync over that way?

I hope I'm getting somewhere with this!!

abttrflykss

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Victory!!! I went into the calendar on my old phone and changed the option above the Event Name box from Phone to my gmail address. When I connected it to my new phone everything showed up!! :)

But I have another question. Is there an option to have the new events saved to my gmail automatically? In the list of options for what accts to sync, I unchecked the Phone box, but new events still say Phone and I have to select my gmail from the drop down.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's good to know! In my experience, I haven't been able change an event over to the Google calendar that easily. Not sure about making Google the default, though.

Posted via Android Central App

James Hurler

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! This is a bit tedious, but better than re-entering every single calendar event. Spent a few hours in research & a couple at the verizon store before I read your post. Wish I'd seen it sooner,

afterburn2600

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site
FYI I had the issue where after changing all my events to my gmail account on my old phone they did not transfer to the new phone. I ensured the gmail calendar was enabled on the new device but nothing was carrying over.

I solved the issue by going to the old device, and under the calendar hit the menu key, then selected Sync. This forced the upload of the newly changed events. Shortly thereafter I received the events on the new phone. (GS4 to GS4)

gordonyow

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
can U outline your steps in transferring your calendar in the old phone to the new phone. I am not that savy in computers. I have S4 and need my calendar to be in Note 5. If U have save your calendar to Outlook I would like to follow also.