Help an iPhone user convert

Tyler C1

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I am currently running a company on an iPhone 5s. I'm happy with the phone, but am very bored with the OS. I also like the idea of the future of Android wearables. Some of the features I use the most in my iPhone I can't seem to figure out if it works that way on Android. Can anyone clear up some of my must haves. I'm looking for actual answers from people with experience, not just the Apple haters.

1. I live and breath Siri. I use it more than any feature. Sending and receiving texts and emails. Making phone calls. Mapping. Booking appointments. Setting alarms and timers. I use Siri at least 100 times in a day. And that's a slow day. Is Android comparable, better or worse.

2. Calendars. I have 10 different calendars on my iPhone. I schedule all my employees, all my sub-contractors, my personal reminders and shared calendars all on the same app. Is Google's calendar that in depth? Better/worse.

3. Does Android have visual voice mail?

4. Can I tether my laptop?

5. App store. The biggest complaint people post about Android is the comparison from Apples App Store to Google Play. The reviewers complain that the quality just isn't there. Is it?

6. Does Android have an office suite? Or something comparable.

If you've got some advice on one of these or all of these please let me know. I haven't really decided on a handset yet, but will probably aim for the S5 or something comparable. I don't want anything much bigger than that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, welcome to the forums :)

Android is a very powerful and versatile mobile OS, so the general answer to "can it do that" is usually yes, but some of your examples may need some more specific context into the "how" it needs to happen in order to nail down a definite 'yes' or a 'no' with an explanation of how it handles the same task differently.

Are you a big user of Google's apps on iOS? (Search, Drive, YouTube, Maps, etc, etc)

1. Android via Google Search is comparable to Siri if not slightly better. S-Voice is slightly worse at those tasks but better at controlling the device. The Moto X's Touchless Controls are much better (they use Google Search/Google Now, but include 'always listening' for activation via a hotphrase. You can test drive Google Now on iOS to see what it does/doesn't do for you. Here is also a comparison of what each can/cannot do: http://www.cnet.com/videos/google-now-vs-siri-the-rematch/ (Keep in mind, both are gaining new functionality very quickly). The Moto X takes this Google Now ball and runs with it, getting some pretty fantastic results.

2. This really depends on what services you're using for calendars. Generally, the functionality is usually possible but it's not always as clean and seamless as it can be on iOS. If you're using Gmail it's different than exchange, etc.

3. Yes, the Google Voice app currently addresses the functionality if your carrier doesn't have a specific app for it. This includes e-mailing you transcripts and is not difficult to set up. I currently use it and haven't actually called my voice-mail number in a couple of years.

4. If you mean mobile hotspot, tethering is available, but depending on your device and plan, this functionality may be more or less difficult to obtain free of cost.

5. There are some horrible apps, but many apps are great. The most commonly used apps, Google's, social networking apps, etc are all generally very solid. The most common complaint in recent time about the apps is on the tablet side, because of the lack of "tablet optimized apps". This is a misunderstanding of how developer tools work, as there is no need to have separate apps for tablets and phones and good developers can make beautiful tablet interfaces within the same app as their phone interface. You can peruse the Google Play store and most apps have screenshots and/or videos of their functionality and user reviews: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ay.google.com/store/apps?hl=en&token=BaFDMGyp

6. Microsoft's Office Mobile, Quickoffice Kingsoft Office and Polaris office are all available, but Google Drive is also a very powerful option for document creation, editing, sharing and general cloud stroage (it has the old Google Docs app merged into it with added functionality) and it can both read and write in formats that are readable by MS Office applications. Like some other solutions, it seamlessly syncs your storage and documents across all devices and all info is also available from any web browser.

My personal device recommendation, coming from iOS as a first time user would be the HTC One M8 (released this past week) or the Moto X. If you are not on Verizon, the Nexus 5 is also an excellent option. Runners up would be the LG G2 or Samsung Galaxy S5.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central :)
Spock addressed everything very well, so I guess I'll just recommend a phone if you haven't decided on one yet. (Another vote for the Moto X)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I agree, Spoooooooock (said in Shatner voice) hit multiple nails on the head. A few additional comments:

2. Calendars. I have 10 different calendars on my iPhone. I schedule all my employees, all my sub-contractors, my personal reminders and shared calendars all on the same app. Is Google's calendar that in depth? Better/worse.

Google Calendar is pretty powerful. You can create any number of calendars and have them sync on each and every Android device that is logged into your Google account (as well as any browser where you can access Google Calendar). Reminders can be an alarm on your phone or an email. Other people can share their Google calendar easily with your account.

5. App store. The biggest complaint people post about Android is the comparison from Apples App Store to Google Play. The reviewers complain that the quality just isn't there. Is it?

I find this to be an obsolete argument. There are so many high quality apps out there, whether you're looking for games, utilities, productivity, media, or whatever.

6. Does Android have an office suite? Or something comparable.

I agree that Google Drive is very versatile and convenient. One caution is that the Google Drive apps (i.e., Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.) can display Microsoft Office files, but can't actually edit them directly--they have to be converted to Google Docs format. But Google also has QuickOffice, which can edit and create Microsoft Office files.

I have a Nexus 5, and love it. The main weak point is the battery, which is pretty average (not "horrible" as many people are fond of saying). If you need a total workhorse phone, then other phones like the Moto X, LG G2, HTC One M8, or the Galaxy S or Note series might be better bets.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I am currently running a company on an iPhone 5s.

If you want to do any kind of serious work on a phone or a tablet an (S-) pen is a boon! Much quicker, more precise and accurate. And of course your working space, i.e. the screen size, is a major work feature. The larger it is, the more convenient and comfortable on the eyes. That's important if you spend a lot of time working on it.

So if I were you I'd have a long, hard look at the Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Evilguppy

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
When I was an iPhone user, I hated the calendar, lol. I find Google calendar to be much more versatile and dependable.

blackmagicwoman

Trusted Member
Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I vote for the Galaxy Note 3. It has served me well for personal use and my work in the medical field. I also came from the iPhone 5. I needed and wanted more flexibility in doing custom things. I love customizing my phone and yet having a larger screen as my 50 plus eyes. By all means please take a look at the Note 3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am inclined to agree with Spock as well. As for PDFs I like Kingsoft versus Drive, but to each their own.

Another vote for either the Moto X or Nexus 5. Both are great phones.

Tyler C1

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
For the Google Now. Do all Android phones have this functionality? Do I need to open an app for it to work compared to iOS holding down of the home button? I use Siri a lot and use it from a Bluetooth headset. It works just by pressing the button on my headset.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
For the Google Now. Do all Android phones have this functionality? Do I need to open an app for it to work compared to iOS holding down of the home button? I use Siri a lot and use it from a Bluetooth headset. It works just by pressing the button on my headset.

Most phones have a quick shortcut for it. Phones with on-screen buttons for example: Swipe up from home (button in the middle) and it will open Google now.
Samsung phones: Hold the menu button to open Google now

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
With the N5 and the Google Edition Launcher, Now is on the leftmost page, or home swipe up, or, has a listening feature.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar