Which phone should I get?

LightningRevolver

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
First of all, here's what's keeping me from buying. How long will it take for the battery to degrade?

I can't choose between the Z1 or the S4. I know that the Z1 beats the S4 just by looking at the specs. But I am worried that if the Z1's battery degrades, it will be rendered useless, unlike the S4 where I could just pop in a new battery. I am on a budget and can't get anything more expensive than the Z1 (unlocked). I also plan to keep my phone for 2 1/2 years.

P.S Which is better, the Z1 or G2?

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
What price are you going to be paying for the Z1? Remember the Z2 is out soon and will likely inhabit a similar price point to the full price of the Z1 at launch...

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
How long will it take for the battery to degrade?

Every battery can be different of course. I got a new one for my Galaxy Note after one year of use. Didn't notice any difference between the new one and the old one that had been recharged well over 365 times. So now I have a spare battery...
In your shoes I would go for the Samsung. Not the S4 but the S5, due out on April 11th. Because of its swappable battery.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you treat the battery properly (condition it before first using it, charge it when it gets down to 40%-60%), you should expect 18-24 months before it begins losing the ability to hold charge as long.

That said, I've had batteries last for years (my current "emergency replacement" phone is 10 years old, with the original battery), so there's no hard and fast rule. But "non--replaceable battery" is one of the two things that are immediate deal breakers for me. (No external SD card still is too, although it looks like the future trend is to eliminate them.)

I'd wait until the S5 is out and the prices on the S4 start taking a nosedive. It's still the same phone, but you'll save a bundle.

LightningRevolver

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'll be paying around 590$ which is 26,000 here in my country (1$=44 Php) for the Z1 and around 540$ for the S4. Do you think the Z1's battery will last for 2-3 years? Or should I just get the S4 which I can change the battery easily? I don't want my new phone to have the same fate as my current 3GS. which cost me around 25$ to change the battery.

Also, does the S4 still lag as what other people say?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're mainly concerned about the battery, I'd go with the S4 (or any phone with a replaceable battery). Will a particular battery last 2-3 years? As I said, I have a 10 year old battery in my emergency phone right now, and I can still get a couple of days on a charge. (It's a feature phone, of course, they hadn't invented smart phones back then.) And I've seen people complaining that their battery lasted 6 months. It depends on how you care for the battery. If you always squeeze the last bit of juice out of it, only charging it when the phone is about to shut off, 6 months is pretty good. If you charge it when it hits 40%-60%, you should be ready to throw that old phone out - with a good battery in it. (How many people want 10 year old phones? But if mine is down for any reason, I can pop the micro SIM into a full-size adapter, put it into the old phone, and I still have a phone in my pocket.) You use more battery than that every day when you're out? Then get one extra battery and, when the one in the phone is down to 50%, switch them. Charge the one in the phone when you get home. When it's charged, switch again and charge that one. (You can get a battery and charger for about $13. Then you plug the battery cable into one part of the charger and put the other battery into another part of the charger - and they both get charged at the same time.)

There's another consideration with batteries. If a spec (and I'm talking about something too small to feel if it falls into your eye) gets into the battery while it's being made (they're made in rooms that make hospital operating rooms look like garbage dumps), you eventually (in a few months, usually) get what's called a dendrite. The battery runs fine for a few hours, then the phone shuts off. Turn the phone on and the battery is at 92%. Huh? That "dirt" grew a crystal which shorted the battery. The current flowing though the short was enough to destroy the crystal (but not the dirt). And the battery voltage dropped enough to shut the phone off.

I had a few fights with my suppliers, back when I had phone stores, until, if I brought them a graph of the battery voltage going from whatever it was to almost 0 in almost 0 time, then going back up (I had a test setup to cause it to happen and to graph the voltage), they knew to give me a battery without arguing. I just gave my customer a new battery when he brought his phone in - I wasn't going to make him wait until the next time I went to that supplier.

But if it happens with the Z1, just try to get them to replace the battery under the "manufacturing defect" part of the warranty. (The phone manufacturer is responsible for defects manufactured by their suppliers.) It's not going to happen, unless the owner of the store you bought th phone from happens to have worked in battery design (as I had) and understood that the battery was defective.

I don't know about battery prices where you are, but in the US you can get an S4 battery for $11. As far as lag, that depends on which version of Android it's running. If it comes from the factory with Kit Kat (4.4.2), it'll probably run pretty well. If it comes with 4.2 and you OTS update it to 4.3, you may of may not have a little problem here and there. A few (very few) S4 4.3 updates have caused problems. (It's not like the S3. There are very few S3s that have been updated to 4.3 that still work well, or at all - some of them bricked). If you update from 4.3 to 4.42 ... well, the update for my phone has been out for a few days now. I have my update firmware frozen. 4.4.2 takes away too much and gives too little. I consider it about 4.3.2. It's got some nice additions (like a little more battery life and a little more speed), but it's not worth the fact that a lot of apps I use almost daily haven't been upgraded to work with it yet. (And there's no Safestrap for it, which is a deal breaker to me. The ROM I run is actually too fast for one app I run - things happen faster than the blink of n eye and I can't use the app, so I have to reboot to a slower ROM (I just use the stock one) for that app. I couldn't do that on 4.4.2.

(And if you think there are no problems with the Z1, think again. They're just different problems than you have on the S4.) But once the S5 has been out for a week or so (maybe by the beginning of May) you may find S4s new for under $500. That's something to consider. That $40 difference will buy you almost 4 batteries. If you treat them well, people will laugh at you for using such an old phone when the 4th one needs replacing. (Even if they only last 2 years each, including the battery that comes with the phone that's 10 years [5 batteries]. Just for waiting a few weeks.)

Your money, your phone, your choice. People told me I was crazy to buy a phone with a locked bootloader that can't be unlocked (yet). I like the phone. Choose on the basis of what's important to you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX