Disable Ringer Volume control and change to media

GRMrGecko

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
One of the most annoying bugs I have with Android... No option to change this.

The volume buttons/rocker on my phone does not allow me to change to media only. If no media is playing it only changes the ringer volume.

Imagine this setting, in my car I have volume all the way up, I get out of car and put on headphones, volume is too loud. I ether play music to where my ears bust or I go into settings and change the volume there. When I try to turn it down immediately, it changes the ringer until I let that volume display disappear. Which means I'm stuck listening to it too loud until I let it disappear to where I can change the media volume.

My little rant is over, how do I force the volume buttons to only be media! FOREVER!

Thanks,
Mr. Gecko

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
There's an app for that, Tasker. It should allow you to set volume preferences based on certain conditions, such as full volume whenever connected to your vehicle or mid level with headphones plugged in. Check it out and see if it works for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

GRMrGecko

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
What if I wanted to play a video and needed the volume at 12, but when I go to play music I need it at 5?

Basically, I still need the volume buttons to ONLY control the media volume.

I own tasker, and agree it sounds good for when connected to car turn volume to full, but doesn't solve all my problems.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What if I wanted to play a video and needed the volume at 12, but when I go to play music I need it at 5?

Basically, I still need the volume buttons to ONLY control the media volume.

I own tasker, and agree it sounds good for when connected to car turn volume to full, but doesn't solve all my problems.

There are a few volume widgets that are available in the Play Store. Perhaps that's an option until a more permanent solution that works for you.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

bob_franklin

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
Completely agree .. easily the most annoying thing about Android for me

My scenario is this: I *always* want my media volume to be off for playing games, but I don't want to turn it off once a game has already started, especially since they'll usually bombard you with music as soon as you launch them. So my media volume is always off. But then I get sent a snapchat, and it may only be a few seconds long, not leaving me enough time to adjust volume up beforehand and down afterwards. I don't want to go into the settings menu before and after every snapchat or every game launch.

Meanwhile, I never adjust my ringtone volume - it's either exactly where I want it, or it's on silent.

Instead of telling us what the best set up is, why not just allow us to change what the default setting is for volume control (i.e. when nothing is currently using the volume)?

GRMrGecko

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Completely agree .. easily the most annoying thing about Android for me

My scenario is this: I *always* want my media volume to be off for playing games, but I don't want to turn it off once a game has already started, especially since they'll usually bombard you with music as soon as you launch them. So my media volume is always off. But then I get sent a snapchat, and it may only be a few seconds long, not leaving me enough time to adjust volume up beforehand and down afterwards. I don't want to go into the settings menu before and after every snapchat or every game launch.

Meanwhile, I never adjust my ringtone volume - it's either exactly where I want it, or it's on silent.

Instead of telling us what the best set up is, why not just allow us to change what the default setting is for volume control (i.e. when nothing is currently using the volume)?

You win an reward for understanding me and know what is needed. A setting to control volume button for when there is no audio playing.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Media is media. A movie is media, music is media and, surprisingly enough, the sounds in a game are media. You can separate the ringtone and media volume controls easily enough (with Tasker or Xposed), but you can't separate different types of media to different volume controls. See if your games have a Sounds off checkbox.

GRMrGecko

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
Media is media. A movie is media, music is media and, surprisingly enough, the sounds in a game are media. You can separate the ringtone and media volume controls easily enough (with Tasker or Xposed), but you can't separate different types of media to different volume controls. See if your games have a Sounds off checkbox.
We are talking about the volume buttons, re-read.

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to know the answer to this as well. I really don't like that the volume rocker controls the ringtone volume. People don't generally need to change the ringtone volume quickly on the fly.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The rocker buttons control whichever sound you're using at the moment - when the phone is idle, that's the ringtone. If you're watching a movie, it's media. You can't have the buttons set to a different level for different types of media because there's only one type of media in Android - media.

TJGEsq

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The ringtone is not media. CyanogenMod allows the user to disassociate the ringtone from the volume rocker, and so should stock Android.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using AC Forums mobile app

amp1080

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
I agree, this is a relatively basic feature and should have been included a long time. My phone is always on phone calls only cause i check it way too often to need any notifications other than a blinking light so i want my rocker buttons for volume to always control media volume.

Can this be done with tasker?

rhar75

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Bob

Totally agree. What's the point in having the ability to easily change your ring tone volume you want it to stay the same. Meanwhile you're forever wanting to change media volume so you don't get nailed trying to watching trivial videos round the dining table. Who doesn't want to check the volume is right down before playing a video. Its as if the folks writing the software dont use it.