Apps on SD card gone after reboot

rickt1152

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I am running Project Elite and it is a great Rom. My problem is not Rom specific as it has happened to me on SS, Sapphire and Project Elite.

Following any reboot, all of apps on SD are not available, and only show the default green icon. Back when I used Launcher Pro, I would just keep restarting it and the apps would eventually come back after several LP restarts. I am now running ADW (with zero redraws), but the apps do not come back with the launcher restarts. I generally must reboot the phone numerous times and eventually, they come back, but this process sometimes takes several hours or longer. I do not know if it is OS related, ADW related, or an issue with the SD card (which seems to work fine otherwise). The amount of downtime I experience with this process is becoming a significant problem for me, and would really like to resolve this.

I also notice that when I am in this state, the apps all show up in the "Settings, Manage Applications", but are greyed out. During this period where the apps are accessible, I can still access content on the SD card through Astro, Root Explorer, etc.

I notice when I click on any application (including ones in internal memory), in the manage applications menu, it will just hang and never give me the file size, data size or cache size. I must do a force stop to get out of the settings menu. Lastly, in this state, I can not install any applications from the market, update any apps from the market or restore anything with Titanium. So something seems to be going on that is effecting more than just the apps stored on the SD card.

One final observation/question, I never created an app2SD partition on my card. The apps move to the card and function just fine, once the phone eventually recognizes them, but didn't know if this was somehow contributing to my issue.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mmmtacos

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I have been having very similar issues as well but not exact.
I do have missing apps (apps moved to SD) but it doesn't show a default green icon...
(though it shows the app in my market but it's status isn't installed)
Also the market will not finish installing or updating new apps until i reformatted my SD card, then after the first reboot it continued with this behavior

I can view the entirety of my SD card through multiple file managers and disk usage apps but using apps2sd, unmount sd card, and disk drive it hangs and also shows the apps as 0 bytes.

this has just recently started happening and i usually backup all my data just in case so i reformatted and reloaded everything and its still acting up.

running Froyo 2.2 EVO4g rooted with launcherpro
continuing to diagnose it, will add any findings but unsure as of now...

Certain

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I am also having this issue on my Droid. It's getting quite annoying. It seems like there is no help for this issue anywhere. Either people are just living with it and not paying it a second thought, or they are running their apps from the internal memory and not having a problem.

philburkhardt

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
I am having this issue, too. It's pretty frustrating.

I had it with the stock ROM; I had it with Ava-Froyo. I remounted my SD card through recovery; I did the ADB remount trick. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the apps. Nothing helps.

I am going to have to change my entire app storage game plan because of this.

cricketjeff

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone ever found an answer to this problem, because I've been rebooting for the past 4 hours!

When I reboot, if things are going to "not work" when I go into settings manage applications it will show the memory size for all apps and all the different sizes (cache etc) as computing. If I remove the sdcard the remaining apps will correctly show their sizes and all works, but I do need the apps on the card!

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have heard this before some time back. It can be one of 2 things.

1. A bad sd card. Run a checkdisk on it,

2. Your ROM is creating a USB soft-Brick, as this usually effects SD card access.. Change ROMs.

I'm gunning for number 1......

death69inc

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
having same issue on stock wm8850-mid any and I mean any app moved to sd is gone after a restart
trying the fix in link now
see if it helps

(update) 1st try didnt help 2nd try app was there after restart seems to be doing ok now, will see

Last edited:

bugfinder

Feb 12, 2016
Visit site
[SOLVED.] After a long battle, I figured it out.

Power off the phone
Remove the SD card and put it in a card reader and connect it to a PC
Run "Cmd" that will open a command window
Type chkdsk /f drive : For example chkdsk /f E: (Most likely you will see a corruption found)
Add files from your computer. (Drag and drop)
Repeat chkdsk /f drive:
Safely eject card and plug it to your phone. Enjoy.

Regards, JD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2