Nexus 4 Stuck at boot screen after replacing the LCD/Digitizer

BigsMcGee

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I just replaced my LCD and digitizer on my Nexus 4 after i dropped it and the screen cracked. It was still in working condition after the damage, but the touch screen was unresponsive. The installation went pretty smoothly but when I went to boot it up after it gets stuck at the bootup screen with the 4 bubbles. I tried some of the solutions people found for a similar problem a few months back when Google released Kit Kat 4.4 for the Nexus 4 but none of them have worked for me. There doesn't seem to be any hardware functionality issues, just some software glitch that I can't figure out. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's too late to give either of you my standard advice for anyone thinking about doing hardware repairs to their own phones - which is DONT!

You both have the same problem - you broke something. Maybe the same thing, maybe different things, but something. Now you both have the same choice. Do you open the phone again and try to figure out what you broke, buy whatever you'll need to fix that and ... probably find that you broke something else, wash, rinse, repeat, over and over? Or do you try to find a repair shop that will work on a phone you've damaged internally and repair it? If you do, they'll probably charge you an hourly fee for diagnosing the problem, which you'll have to pay before they do the actual repair. And, considering the value of the phone, the diagnosis may cost more than the phone is worth. (It could be $50/hour, and it could take 5 or 6 hours - just to diagnose the problems.)

Which is why it's usually cheaper to bring it to a repair shop to start, which is why I advise against trying to do it yourself. (In most places, if you don't pay the diagnostic fee after 30 days or so, they own the phone.)

Tony Porter1

May 19, 2014
Visit site
This happened to me, half a day on boot animations - then I re-checked my connections on the motherboard - you've just missed connecting something, I missed connecting the headphone connector - worked like a charm afterwards :D

CheesOnToast

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This happened to me, half a day on boot animations - then I re-checked my connections on the motherboard - you've just missed connecting something, I missed connecting the headphone connector - worked like a charm afterwards :D

CheesOnToast
Awesome, thanks for sharing your fix.

RicardoBB

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

To cut a long story short, I replaced my digitalizer & screen and all was going well until I'd take or make a call. then the screen would go blank and I could do nothing - so I decided to remove the screen again to investigate. I took it off in a hurry, and from then on only the back of the display would light up - the screen blank. I must have bent it while removing it, so I presumed it was beyond repair from that point.

Nonetheless, I was determined to mess about with it, to see if there was any chance of it working again. But here's where I screwed up. I was lazy, so I just connected the leads to the motherboard while it was all sitting in front of me, as in, both the phone itself and the screen part were both facing upwards on the table... it was my way of avoiding putting it back fully in place over and over.

Stupidly, with me being in a hurry, I connected the main display cable the other way around, and it started smoking (queue laughter!!!), but i'm wondering - while the display part is now destroyed (i observed a little smouldering on the strip leading into the display) - would this have had any effect on the phone itself? when I mess around with the power button the vibration still works so I know the phone is functioning.

The question is - do you think I'm best off throwing the whole lot in the bin now - or is it worth the gamble to just buy a new digitalizer + screen??

thanks

Starlored

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I know this is reviving an old (ish) tread, but I recently changed my screen and digitizer (for the second time) connected it all up, screwed everything back together, turned the phone on, left it to boot up and that's when I noticed it was stuck on the boot screen .

I unscrewed everything and checked the connections everything seemed fine until I noticed the headphone connector was unplugged, plugged it in, turned it on and....... everything was fine.

I'm a bit annoyed that this is the second time I've had to change the screen. First time was my fault as I dropped the phone down THREE floors, the second who knows it was in my pocket I took it out to charge when I got home and it had two small cracks,one ran all the way across the middle.

Senators Rule

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to add to this thread that I had the same issue I had omitted to move the headset jack from the old to the new digitizer frame. I was a bit over confident given it was my second time replacing it and sure enough I went too quick and forgot about that piece. Everything is up and running.

I also disagree with the one poster above about taking things to a shop. Plenty of instructional youtube videos and very easy to do for techies and non-techies alike.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12