Pantech Breeze to Moto X

nyartist

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Finally bit the bullet and bought a Moto X. Anyone know how to transfer contacts from one to the other? I know I can go to an AT&T store and have them do it but other than entering each contact manually is there any other way?

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
If you were switching from an android to android, it syncs your contacts up via your Google account. Assuming by the type of phone you had before, you're not doing that. But I would suggest actually just going to the AT&T store because they have an actual machine they use to transfer data from one phone to another. You yourself would have to put them in manually.

But congrats on your Moto X and welcome to the forums! Hope you enjoy your new device. I know I sure enjoy mine.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Make sure the contacts on your Pantech Breeze are synced with Google. When you load up you're Moto X and sync your Google account, your contacts will be loaded.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, keep in mind that some phones allow you to save a contact in either the "Phone Account" or your Google account. Google contacts sync automatically with your Google account in the web, so a new phone will automatically sync its contacts with your Google account (assuming you've logged in to that account). However, Phone Account contacts don't sync with anything, unless you use 3rd party or carrier-provided apps (e.g., HTC Sync, Verizon's Backup Assistant Plus, etc.). Going to AT&T is a fine plan, but they might charge you for the contact transfer. If your old phone contacts are in the Phone Account, you could probably export them into a file, and then import them into your Google account--see this Guide for more details: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...-android-2014-part-iii-managing-contacts.html

nyartist

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Make sure the contacts on your Pantech Breeze are synced with Google. When you load up you're Moto X and sync your Google account, your contacts will be loaded.
It's just my phone number contacts that I want to bring over to the Moto X, and for that it sounds like going to the AT&T store is my best option. It just occurred to me that I will have to take the SIM card from the Breeze and place it in the Moto X.. Is that true or is this a totally new card that comes with the phone now that data is included??

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You'll probably need a new SIM card, but AT&T doesn't charge for them. Just bring the phone in, ask for an equipment swap and ask if you need a new SIM. At the same time ask if they can transfer your contacts. (You may have to go to a Device Support Center - if you do, they'll tell you where it is, and give you directions if you need them. Or your local store may also be a DSC. Some AT&T stores without DSSCs have the equipment to transfer contacts, pictures, videos and music, some don't and I've seen a few that have the equipment but no one working at the time knows how to use it. But go in, tell them you need an equipment swap to your new phone and go from there.)

In the future, as B.Diddy said, make sure that any contact you enter is entered as an "Account" contact, so it's synced to Google. Then the next time you get a new Android phone, put in your Google email account and it'll sync your apps and contacts in a couple of minutes. (I can't figure out why they leave SIM and Phone as choices for contacts. That's like having a feed bag on a car, because horses needed them. At one time, your only choice, depending on the phone, was to store the contacts on the SIM or in the phone. It's 2014 now.)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Be careful with the AT&T contact transfer, it may place the contacts on the phone as "phone" contacts rather than "Google" contacts. This will prevent the contacts from syncing (and backing up to) Google. You MAY be best off adding them yourself and making sure they're "Google" contacts as you create them, you won't have to worry about this in the future, or worry about getting your contacts back should you have a problem with the Moto X and you need to swap to another device.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it adds them as phone contacts, you export them, go into Airplane mode, import the file you exported to https://www.google.com/contacts/#contacts. If they all imported correctly, delete all of them in the phone, then turn wifi or mobile data back on and they'll sync as Account contacts. It takes about as long to do it as it took to read it. No need to do all that typing by hand.

nyartist

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I want to thank everyone for their help.. Got it working and now dealing with the learning curve of a smart phone. I promised myself that I wouldn't be like one of the kids I see walking around with their heads stuck in their phones... but who knows?

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I want to thank everyone for their help.. Got it working and now dealing with the learning curve of a smart phone. I promised myself that I wouldn't be like one of the kids I see walking around with their heads stuck in their phones... but who knows?

Awesome! Glad you got it all working. It might take a bit to get used to it and it can be overwhelming at first because there is a lot of stuff you can do with it. Just take your time, relax, and breath. Haha

Enjoy your Moto X. I sure do.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk