Cannot write to my SD card over WiFi

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
It has certainly been raining crap on the ol' Suthern_Man for the last month or so.

• One half of the motor in our only car decided to self-destruct - Cha-ching! $2800
  • Three days after that, my S4 died from a smaller than hairline crack in the display - Cha-ching! $175
  • The cat knocked my laptop-the same one on which I had just successfully re-flowed the video chip-off on the floor, breaking, of course!, the screen - ~$50 (when I get around to it)

Now, the first time I try to add some new tunes to my "new" phone, I can't manipulate any data on its SD card via WiFi. I can write, delete, move, rename, anything I want to/from the card from within the phone itself. Just not over WiFi.

I thought it was perhaps the app I was using so I tried another but same thing. The best error code I get is the highly informative "Operation Failed"-Period.

Is there some setting somewhere that holds sway over the ability to write to the SD card? God I hope so. This is really becoming irritating!

Thanks from the bottom of my bruised & battered heart!! :'(

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're running Kit Kat, the external card is secure, meaning that only an app with rights to a file or folder can do whatever rights it has to that file or folder.

So, for instance, your wifi file transfer app can't write to, delete from or modify a file in any folder on the card it didn't create. Superuser has all rights to the entire filesystem, so developers are going to have to start writing file transfer apps that can run rooted, and users are going to have to start rooting their phones. (All in the name of security for "use your phone on your workplace's network", which isn't secure, and which most of us don't want to do anyway.)

suthern_man

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah, I figured that out a little while after I posted this. I found I can load files via my card reader (a minor PITA, but given the alternative...) and all works fine.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's only one of the minor PITAs of Kit Kat, which add up to a major one - which is why I froze my update app back at 4.3. (The ROM I'm using now didn't even have the update app in it.) If Android and Samsung keep coming out with this nonsense, my phone stays at 4.3 until someone comes out with a pure Linux ROM.