Messaging app, doesnt always completely exit?

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering if mine is the only one that will sometimes or sometimes not completely exit out when pressing the back button? Sometimes its still in my active apps, sometimes its not, but it usually does stay active. I thought the home button just puts apps on "pause" while the back button completely exits out of them? why do i have to go in and force kill it all the time?

is there some setting im missing? Im running 4.0.4

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if mine is the only one that will sometimes or sometimes not completely exit out when pressing the back button? Sometimes its still in my active apps, sometimes its not, but it usually does stay active. I thought the home button just puts apps on "pause" while the back button completely exits out of them? why do i have to go in and force kill it all the time?

is there some setting im missing? Im running 4.0.4
There's no need for it to be completed exited, or closed. If battery is your concern don't worry about it, it's not consuming much, if anything at all, while it's not in use.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Will give that a read. Im just always trying to concerve ram, especially since im supposed to have 1 gig of ram, but i only see 724 megs at least accessable to me, when a gig is 1024 megs.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Will give that a read. Im just always trying to concerve ram, especially since im supposed to have 1 gig of ram, but i only see 724 megs at least accessable to me, when a gig is 1024 megs.
Completely understandable. Keep in mind that there are services running in the background keeping the device updated, sync'd, active, etc. If you are starting to see issues with the device, i.e. slowdown/lag, unresponsiveness, etc., then take a look at what could be causing those issues.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Completely understandable. Keep in mind that there are services running in the background keeping the device updated, sync'd, active, etc. If you are starting to see issues with the device, i.e. slowdown/lag, unresponsiveness, etc., then take a look at what could be causing those issues.

Other than freezing a few times (though google suggests that it was/is a problem with that speciific app, not my phone) it hasnt been terrible. ive had to hold down the power button to turn it off and reboot, it a few times. I just instintively did that from owning a computer for so many years, it was nearly subconcious, but it worked!

the overall motion, like going through the phones menus, or home screens, etc is still very smooth.

other than the odd random freezing (normally when trying to boot that app i mention. it hasnt just randomly frozen when "at rest"... at least not yet), im just trying to keep it that way.

So, is it normal that i cant see all of the ram actually available? I have sync disabled/manual for all my accounts (facebook, gmail, etc). and data is turned off. so aside from it monitoring for text messages and calls, im not too sure what the ram is busy doing! lol

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
So, is it normal that i cant see all of the ram actually available? I have sync disabled/manual for all my accounts (facebook, gmail, etc). and data is turned off. so aside from it monitoring for text messages and calls, im not too sure what the ram is busy doing! lol
Yes, it's normal and nothing to worry about. Let the system pick and choose which apps to shutdown to free up space.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I just tried force stopping some things i know i dont use every time. it ended up freeing up a good 100mb of ram!! But i will likely have to do that every time wont i?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That RAM will ultimately get used again by some other app that either you open or the system opens in the background. Unless you're experiencing a lot of performance issues, you really don't need to monitor the RAM closely.

pawprints86

May 10, 2013
Visit site
doesnt more ram free for when i open a larger app (like disneys hidden worlds for example) ultimately mean better performance??

thats the one ive had freeze up on me when not enough ram is available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol