04-22-2018 02:29 AM
68 123
tools
    Hello and thank you for your reply.
    Since I have linked the contacts, I have only once contact set and I can switch between the Google tab and the Device tab. I have attached screenshot in case this is not clear. Attachment 121848Attachment 121849
    From there you can also see that this particular contact has a photo on the device tab but not on the Google tab and the contact in Google online also does not show a Photo.

Now, saying this, I can see that one other contacts the photo seems to have synced over from the device to Google and I am not sure why this is. Any feedback is much appreciated.
    However, I wanted to avoid to having to add the photos manually on the Google Contacts online site, especially since I have a few hundreds contacts on the phone.
    Attached Thumbnails [GUIDE] Getting Started with Android (UPDATED 2016 for Nougat)-screen-shot-2014-06-05-23.36.25-pm.png   [GUIDE] Getting Started with Android (UPDATED 2016 for Nougat)-screen-shot-2014-06-05-23.36.36-pm.png  
    06-05-2014 05:38 PM
    It just seems like the contact photos didn't sync to Google for some reason, and so the Google contact isn't associated with a photo. I don't know of a definitive way to sync the photos over, sorry!
    06-05-2014 05:46 PM
    Hi there. As i am rading this post, i am realizing what an imbacil i have been when i decided to NOT duplicate my contacts on google, though i feel everything is not lost.

The story is that as I "repaired" my Sony Xperia Go from Sony PC companion, i got a fresh android version (free of lagg, yeah) but i noticed that all the files are still there but are not being used. My contacts backup which i made was damaged so i could not import them. But, as i noticed all my old files are still there, i also noticed that my phone recognizes phone numbers that are calling me, so it must have saved that information somewhere, right? THE PROBLEM is i can't find that file. I have dugged trough all the folders, scanned for .vcf /.csv/ contacts etc. but nothing. I used Root Browser app, Android Comander but i guess i'm too much of a noob to do this. I can't get my contacts back. Any tips about finding the file on my phone? Neither he finds anything when i am telling him to import the contacts.
    06-07-2014 07:25 AM
    Hi there. As i am rading this post, i am realizing what an imbacil i have been when i decided to NOT duplicate my contacts on google, though i feel everything is not lost.

The story is that as I "repaired" my Sony Xperia Go from Sony PC companion, i got a fresh android version (free of lagg, yeah) but i noticed that all the files are still there but are not being used. My contacts backup which i made was damaged so i could not import them. But, as i noticed all my old files are still there, i also noticed that my phone recognizes phone numbers that are calling me, so it must have saved that information somewhere, right? THE PROBLEM is i can't find that file. I have dugged trough all the folders, scanned for .vcf /.csv/ contacts etc. but nothing. I used Root Browser app, Android Comander but i guess i'm too much of a noob to do this. I can't get my contacts back. Any tips about finding the file on my phone? Neither he finds anything when i am telling him to import the contacts.
    Sorry for the late reply, but I'm afraid I can't help you with this ...
    06-16-2014 01:49 AM
    I really want to know about its battery because its very big problem in android phone?
    Welcome to Android Central! What phone, and what's the problem? I would suggest posting a new thread with your question, either in the forum for your phone, or here: General Help and How To - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

In the meantime, review this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...ving-tips.html
    06-19-2014 06:52 PM
    Hi evwry1 im wondering how can i sim unlock my uk note 3 9005 if i root me phone can i sim unlock it or can i use a dialing code or wud it be easier to take it to a shop and buy a code ibe already rang vodafone uk and they wont unlock it thanks
    06-21-2014 11:43 AM
    Hi evwry1 im wondering how can i sim unlock my uk note 3 9005 if i root me phone can i sim unlock it or can i use a dialing code or wud it be easier to take it to a shop and buy a code ibe already rang vodafone uk and they wont unlock it thanks
    Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, I can't help you with that. Try posting your question in one of these forums: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
    06-21-2014 05:45 PM
    my question was for all that android phone, which battery back- up is one day or less. we can do anything for it..
    Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, I don't understand your question. Are you having a problem with your battery?
    06-27-2014 02:49 AM
    I just switched to Android a couple of days back. There are a few questions I would like to ask.
    1. I was a long term Windows Phone user and there was an option to link my contacts to corresponding Facebook contacts which would import their additional details like birthdays, profile images, etc. Is there any way such a thing can be done on Android KitKat? I am completely befuddled about this!
    2. Is there any way to set defaults for different apps like a default music app, default browser, etc.?

Thank you.
    06-27-2014 11:30 AM
    Welcome to Android Central!

1. There isn't a native way to import Facebook contacts to the Google Contacts app. You could try an app like Sync.ME.

2. What do you mean by defaults? Do you mean, for example, if you tap a photo file, you want a specific app to open it all the time? If you have multiple apps that can open a file, the first time you tap a file that any of them can open, the system will ask you which app you'd like to use, and give you the opportunity to use it as a default, or just for now. If you choose it as a default, and later change your mind, you can go to Settings>Apps​, find the app you chose as default, and select Clear Defaults.
    06-27-2014 11:49 PM
    Wow, Excellency, my hat goes off!

What an impressive GUIDE have You authored!

Very much leading the way out to the Post-Windows Civilization / Mentality. Not just for Mobiles, but for COMPUTING as a whole, much like the LINUX revolution.

Much appreciated; I am beginning to learn. Best rgds, thx
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-14-2014 11:01 AM
    Amazing guide and amazing forum as well

One thing in Android that made me crazy trying to figure it out is sync/backup of photos; this guide helped a lot but I'm still not sure if I got it right
    So, on my Android 4.1.2 (on a LG phone), in the Settings-->Syncronization-->Google account panel, I found THREE(!) items referring to photos. Let's see if I managed to understand what does what:

1. Google Photos Automatic Backup --> should sync the "Photos" app with Google+, but only regarding photos coming from Android (shot with camera and also downloaded ones, if selected);
    2. Google+ Photos --> also syncs the "Photos" app with Google+, but this time it's for photos uploaded in the Google+ albums;
    3. Picasa Web Albums --> same as -2- , but syncs with the "Gallery" app, not with "Photos"

Is everything right? Also, what role has Google Drive in all this mess? Can I disable it and keep the auto-backup feature?

Thanks for your attention!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    07-23-2014 07:26 PM
    Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the kind words! I think you're pretty much correct, except I think "Google Photos Automatic Backup" is only for photos that you take using your camera, as long as your Google+ Auto Backup feature is turned on (in the Photos app, in the Settings). The photos get synced to the Automatic Backup folder in your Google+ Photos in the cloud. I don't have that listed, but then again, I don't use the Auto Backup feature.

The only way Google Drive figures into your photos is if you have the setting in the Photos app set to show photos from Google Drive as well as Google+. If you don't have any photos in Google Drive and you don't use it at all, you should be able to disable it. (Although I find Google Drive very useful!)
    Sbranzo likes this.
    07-23-2014 10:43 PM
    Hi, I've read the section in your review regarding contacts but still wasn't able to figure out how do I take all the contacts in my phone and synchronize them with my google account(as they are saved on the phone/sim card), I want to do a factory data reset to my phone, so it's pretty important..
    I would really appreciate a reply =))
    thanks!
    10-11-2014 04:11 AM
    Hi, I've read the section in your review regarding contacts but still wasn't able to figure out how do I take all the contacts in my phone and synchronize them with my google account(as they are saved on the phone/sim card), I want to do a factory data reset to my phone, so it's pretty important..
    I would really appreciate a reply =))
    thanks!
    Sorry for the delayed response--welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? When you open your People/Contacts app, tap Menu--do you see an Import/Export option there? If so, select it, then follow the prompts to Export your contacts to storage, if that's an option. This will export your contacts into a multiple .vcf file, I think. You can then tap the Import/Export option again, then choose Import, and see if you can import that same file back into your Google account.
    10-17-2014 11:56 PM
    Great tutorial!!!

Coming back to Android after three years with an iOs device, not by choice, has been simply wonderful!

Thanks soooo much for helping me navigate through this process another time with a new smartphone!

Mike
    B. Diddy and k72 like this.
    08-16-2015 02:52 AM
    How do I delete pdf files off my droid
    09-04-2015 04:57 PM
    please i have a nec docomo N-06D. I tried upgrading for andriod os 2.3.6 to 4.2.2 but it didnt work... now my google play store cant download or update application.. seems it tampered with my system file.. i have formatted the tab so many times.. and if the battery runs out and the tab goes off and comes on it crashes "home, gallery,and all startup com files... please help me. thanks in Adv
    [phone number redacted by Mod]
    09-07-2015 10:36 AM
    How do I delete pdf files off my droid
    Welcome to Android Central! Use a file manager app to select the file and delete it.
    12-07-2015 11:55 AM
    please i have a nec docomo N-06D. I tried upgrading for andriod os 2.3.6 to 4.2.2 but it didnt work... now my google play store cant download or update application.. seems it tampered with my system file.. i have formatted the tab so many times.. and if the battery runs out and the tab goes off and comes on it crashes "home, gallery,and all startup com files... please help me. thanks in Adv
    [phone number redacted by Mod]
    Welcome to Android Central! You're better off creating a new thread in the General Help forum for your question, rather than adding it to the end of this thread. Good luck!
    12-07-2015 11:56 AM
    Was considering a jump to Android from Windows Phone and this article was a big help. I have some questions regarding contacts and mail.

Is this still the case with contacts - "There aren't any stock or native apps on Android devices that allow you to sync with other platforms"? All my calendar and contacts sit on Outlook.com where I would like them to remain. While importing them to Google is easy enough, it will be a pain to keep contacts synced between my phone and surface/pc. Can you not just set Android to use/sync contacts with any source you choose or do they force you to use Google contacts?

Can you link Facebook details/photos to existing contacts in your android people app? Can you filter out Facebook friends who are also not in your personal contacts? Can you link Facebook contacts to a personal contact regardless of an exact name match?

Can you use any email you want by default in Android or are you confined to gmail if you want a fully featured experience?
    01-19-2016 08:35 PM
    Was considering a jump to Android from Windows Phone and this article was a big help. I have some questions regarding contacts and mail.

Is this still the case with contacts - "There aren't any stock or native apps on Android devices that allow you to sync with other platforms"? All my calendar and contacts sit on Outlook.com where I would like them to remain. While importing them to Google is easy enough, it will be a pain to keep contacts synced between my phone and surface/pc. Can you not just set Android to use/sync contacts with any source you choose or do they force you to use Google contacts?

Can you link Facebook details/photos to existing contacts in your android people app? Can you filter out Facebook friends who are also not in your personal contacts? Can you link Facebook contacts to a personal contact regardless of an exact name match?

Can you use any email you want by default in Android or are you confined to gmail if you want a fully featured experience?
    Well, I know you can move everything from iOS to Android and vice versa. You would have to find someone who had a Windows phone and moved to Android to really find out. But I'm going to guess and I'm not 100% on this; that you can move all your contacts etc to the Android platform.
    01-20-2016 02:08 AM
    Thank you.
    03-02-2016 04:15 AM

Sorry for the very late response! To my knowledge, there still are not any stock or native apps that sync with other platforms. This doesn't mean there aren't 3rd party apps for the job, but many if not all of these kinds of apps are imperfect in some way. Syncing between Outlook and Google has always been problematic, and I've never heard of a sync program that is 100% error-free. A lot of this may have to do with all of the different data fields that Outlook has that don't correspond to what Google uses.

Facebook contact syncing is currently problematic because Facebook removed the ability in their API to sync contacts. Sync.ME is one alternative.

You can use any email you want, either in the stock Email app or in the Gmail app. I find that Gmail in the Gmail app syncs much more quickly and efficiently than other email providers, though.
    05-01-2016 02:44 AM
    Is there an updated one of these for marshmallow ? I'm a Windows Phone user thinking of making the switch in the next few weeks (Samsung S7 Edge) so would be good to read up on some of the basic navigation/descriptions before I make the jump so I'm not totally clueless when I turn it on
    05-17-2016 10:04 PM
68 123