11-22-2016 10:45 PM
63 123
tools
    I'm afraid I haven't gotten around to adding the Marshmallow bits to the guide--sorry! To be honest, there aren't a whole lot of huge differences in Marshmallow when it comes to navigating around (and different phone manufacturers always change menus around as well--my guides are based on Nexus devices, and Samsung phones have a significantly different menu). If you read through this guide, much of it will still apply to Marshmallow.
    05-17-2016 10:10 PM
    Is there an updated one of these for marshmallow ? I'm a Windows Phone user thinking of making the switch in the next few weeks (Samsung S7 Edge) so would be good to read up on some of the basic navigation/descriptions before I make the jump so I'm not totally clueless when I turn it on
    Welcome to Android Central! Sorry, I've been dragging my feet a bit about updating this for Marshmallow, because it gets trickier and trickier to modify this existing thread. I'll probably work on it in the next couple of months. I was also waiting for Marshmallow to start appearing on more devices (which finally seems to be happening).
    08-06-2016 12:54 AM
    I need to know what all apps I need and how to root my phone I have a ZTE prestige
    09-16-2016 07:08 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! This isn't really the best thread to ask your question. Please see the response in your other thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/oth...ml#post5423012
    09-16-2016 07:17 PM
    The guide has been updated for Nougat! Man, this is the only reason why I wish Google would slow down introduction of new Android versions -- it takes a while to update this thing!
    sfoLAX and Srdoug like this.
    11-19-2016 02:02 AM
    I'm glad it's here. I've been using Windows Phone since the WP7 HTC Trophy. With MS' immediate future on enterprise, the black Friday deal at Vzw and the Gear S3, I'm switching to a GS7. I've been studying this guide and spending my time over here vs Windows Central.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-19-2016 03:49 AM
    Glad to hear it!
    11-19-2016 02:20 PM
    Thanks for putting the time in.
    A great reference I keep forgetting about.

Personally, I'm afraid to read all of it
    I can bet you anything you like I will find more than one thing I never knew about, or had been doing the long way around all these years.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-22-2016 11:40 AM
    How about updating it to remove all of the old info? Kinda streamline the articles a bit. Take me for example. I'm switching to a GS7 this weekend. It will be my first time on the Android OS. I need the most current info on the ways to do stuff in Android. Are there people that are going to switch to Android, going to get a device that is old enough, that the original info will pertain to them? The people that may be using an older device that the info pertains to, is already familiar with the OS and possibly wouldn't benefit from the old info.

Thoughts?
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-22-2016 01:46 PM
    Thanks for the input! In the most recent revision, I did start removing some of the really old stuff. But since there are still quite a few devices out there running older versions like KitKat, I still wanted to make sure this guide covered as much ground as possible for the majority of users. You ask for the most current way, but that would imply Nougat, which still only has about 0.3% penetration so far. The next time I revise this (probably some time next year), I will most likely remove more of the older stuff.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    11-22-2016 05:51 PM
    Thanks for the input! In the most recent revision, I did start removing some of the really old stuff. But since there are still quite a few devices out there running older versions like KitKat, I still wanted to make sure this guide covered as much ground as possible for the majority of users. You ask for the most current way, but that would imply Nougat, which still only has about 0.3% penetration so far. The next time I revise this (probably some time next year), I will most likely remove more of the older stuff.
    Cool. I'm still an Android-virgin!
    B. Diddy likes this.
    11-22-2016 06:09 PM
    Thanks! This is useful to me. I just bought my first Android phone.
    B. Diddy and 11B1P like this.
    11-22-2016 10:20 PM
    Thanks! This is useful to me. I just bought my first Android phone.
    What'd you have prior?
    11-22-2016 10:45 PM
63 123