So I decided after seeing the social network that I want to do computer programming. I am big time into computers and I use mine probably about 12 hours a day off and on. I build them with ease and very familiar with the internals and everything you can know without going to school. I plan to start college for computers very soon here and I want to get a jump start. Does anyone have any guides to programming and android making apps? I dont plan to be making a huge app everyone will use just maybe something basic aimed for me. Just to get this coding/programming down.
    10-26-2010 12:10 PM
    Google the android sdk. You need that sdk and I suggest eclipse as an editor. Get the sdk and emulators running with eclipse. Then follow one of the simple hello world apply examples. Then get a good beginner book to guide you thru a complete app. That's the path I took and I'm creating a great app now. Even if you are not a programmer you should be able to get it all setup. From there following a book should be good.
    Cheers!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    10-26-2010 05:04 PM
    Thanks I am in the process of that now. I am slowly learning to program too. I can make a console window now with code.
    10-27-2010 12:31 PM
    Do either of you recommend a book for starting? I have been interested for some time in writing an app most likely for my own use but have not seen many books on it yet.

Thanks
    10-28-2010 11:33 AM
    I bought Pro Android 2 on kindle. I program for a living - not sure how someone new to programming might be with the book. There are other choices on the kindle store.

Beginning Android 2 looks good.

10-28-2010 12:00 PM
    You program for a living? What kind of language is android written in? Do you have an AIM name or MSN or something I can ask questions on? I have a lot of them.
    10-28-2010 01:14 PM
    All kinds of web mostly. Feel free to PM me on here. I will respond.

Android apps are in Java. There is a product called appcelerator that allows you to design using HTML and JavaScript. Its a cool effort but wasn't a solution for me. So I dove in to Java.

A lot of programming is finding examples and molding them to your purpose. Of course you also need to understand the platform to some degree to understand what the example is about. Start with a beginners book for sure. Also learn to use the debugger right away. Will save you many hours of frustration.

10-28-2010 01:43 PM
    I visit your forum and i like it .For change career i am thinking about learning programming. What do I need to know first? Where are some good resources? I'm particularly interested in developing iphone applications as I've got some good origninal ideas that haven't been developed yet.Give me the suggestion for this.
    07-14-2012 08:18 AM
    I visit your forum and i like it .For change career i am thinking about learning programming. What do I need to know first?
    You need to learn programming first (that has nothing to do with programming languages). Start with http://www.higherintellect.info/text...us%20Wirth.pdf
    I'm particularly interested in developing iphone applications
    Then, once you've learned programming, start learning C. (But learning the language without first learning programming is only fooling yourself.)
    07-15-2012 10:01 PM
    Hi Friends,
    Thanks for sharing these information..
    07-27-2012 07:26 AM
    checked out codeacademy yet? I started it but havent had time to do much.

Learn to code | Codecademy
    07-28-2012 12:56 AM
    Then, once you've learned programming, start learning C.
    iPhone apps are written in Objective-C using Cocoa APIs. Basically, C with some enhancements from Smalltalk.

As for learning a little, I recommend TheNewBoston on YouTube. Dead simple. Helped me out when I needed to learn OpenGL/LWJGL for a CS project that didn't require it. Don't remember, but I think I got like a 300/100 for that. It was awesome.

Here's the first episode to TNB's iPhone tutorial.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    07-28-2012 01:09 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD