REALLY weird thing happened today on my Moto X

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I had just been browsing a web site (Snopes.com) on my phone, when my phone rang.. After the phone call ended, I started to hear some kind of ads through my audio speaker. I don't recall what the first ad was, but the second ad was a Verizon ad. A third ad started, and I couldn't tell why it was playing or what app initiated it. I went back into Chrome to see if there was video playing but there wasn't. Youtube wasn't running in the background.. I eventually shut the phone and since then the ads have not played. I ran a Malware scan on the phone tonight and it came back clean.

Why would an audio ad play randomly on my phone?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It could have been an audio popup ad, but the popup window still should have been visible. Keep in mind that on some websites, there may be an embedded ad that will automatically play. A good ad service will make sure the ad is muted unless you click on it, but some annoying services will default to the ad being full volume.

By the way, I just checked snopes.com on my Chromebook, and after about 5 seconds on the site, an ad popped up (within the same window) at the lower right, full volume. That must have been the culprit.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
I actually discovered that the culprit was Words With Friends.. Even though I paid for no ads way back when, it's now periodically pushing audio ads to me in the background when I play! I googled it and others have had the same issue!

Grr.

Posted via Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yech. Although I would try going back to snopes.com and letting it sit for a few minutes--see if an ad starts there.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I just sat on snopes.com for about 10 minutes with Chrome and no ad popped up. But I have ad sites blocked in my hosts file, so I rarely see any.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49