Dropped Phone - Turns On, Responds - But Black Screen

dollerprod

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Dropped my phone (S3) from about 4ft up onto a driveway. Screen was not broken. Tried to turn phone back on, but screen stays black. No backlight. It still responds to touch, as I can answer a call (from knowing where the button is).

What is it likely to be?

idroidnation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Yes, screen/digitizer, we get a lot of these in for repairs. If you are a DIY kind of person, their are tutorials online and you can buy the assembly to save on going to a repair shop

dollerprod

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes, screen/digitizer, we get a lot of these in for repairs. If you are a DIY kind of person, their are tutorials online and you can buy the assembly to save on going to a repair shop
Thanks. I've replaced the glass probably about 5 times on this phone (not because I'm reckless with them- maybe I am actually- but I think mainly because the glass I get online is cheaply made).

From just a quick look, it seems like a digitizer is about $65... I'd almost rather just go through insurance at that rate.. Especially not knowing for sure that that's what the issue is. But then I'd lose everything that is in the phone.

Since it was a pretty good fall, could it be there is a connector or something that has become dislodged?

idroidnation

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I've replaced the glass probably about 5 times on this phone (not because I'm reckless with them- maybe I am actually- but I think mainly because the glass I get online is cheaply made).

From just a quick look, it seems like a digitizer is about $65... I'd almost rather just go through insurance at that rate.. Especially not knowing for sure that that's what the issue is. But then I'd lose everything that is in the phone.

Since it was a pretty good fall, could it be there is a connector or something that has become dislodged?

It is possible a connector came loose, especially since you have repaired it before(Not saying you did not do a good job, but we have seen people destroy phones, especially iphones!) It is really your call, insurance you will generally get you a full refurbished phone, that may have had a cracked screen before. Their is a local ifixit type store to us who we supply iPhone lcd digitizers to and they have some kind of contract with sprint I believe or some insurance for sprint to fix the their damaged phones so they can use them for the replacements for customers with insurance and majority of the phones have cracked lcd's that they repair. Another thing to think about is if you DIY, many times you may receive a defective lcd digitizer, their is a high defect rate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo