USB OTG question?

justashyguy

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums here, but not to android. I've got a question about USB OTG. So I'm about to purchase a 16gb LG G2, which doesn't have expandable storage, and I'm going to need more than the 6-7 gb that's going to be left after the OS and formatting etc. I know that you can use USB OTG to transfer files between an Android phone and the external storage connected to the dong;e. But I was wondering, if I got one of those micro SD card adapters, would I be able to use it like a regular micro SD card that is plugged in to the SD card slot? Would I be able to install apps and could pictures I take be put directly onto it? Thanks

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I dont think you will find a simple way to do what your describing.
The general idea of the USB OTG is to help with the storing of data and backup to free the mobile device memory and not to actually be a run-time extension.
You will be able to move your pictures to the USB and maybe install applications but I dont think you can configure the android camera to save automatically on the USB and am not sure that you'll actually get all the apps to work from the SD.

If you do decide to try, keep us informed.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Most apps can't run on the microSD card on phones that have microSD card slots - that's not what the slot was designed for. It's a trick that works with some apps. It may also work with some apps on OTG storage, but don't count on it for OTG or external SD cards. If the phone doesn't have enough internal storage for the apps you need to run, the proper solution is to get a phone that does. (Eventually, if Google has their way, no phones will have external SD cards, and no apps will run from external storage - it's a security risk, and Google is kowtowing to the corporate world.)