What is recovery? and root Help am a noob.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And can you download widgets?

There are some stand alone widgets in Play, but many apps come with them. You can access widgets in one of two ways: Open the app drawer, and there should be a tab at the top that says widgets. Or(on Google Now laucher), you can long press any open section of the screen and select widgets.

And is there an DFU mode in android so if it bricks you can always restore like iphone?

In the custom recovery guide, how to do a Nandroid (backup) is covered. This is always a good thing to do as recovery partitions of the OS are semi-difficult to mess up, and if you have a Nandroid, that can save you from many bad things that can happen when flashing ROMs.

Last edited:

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
There are some stand alone widgets in Play, but many apps come with them. You can access widgets in one of two ways: Open the app drawer, and there should be a tab at the top that says widgets. Or(on Google Now loaucher), you can long press any open section of the screen and select widgets.

In the custom recovery guide, how to do a Nandroid (backup) is covered. This is always a good thing to do as recovery partitions of the OS are semi-difficult to mess up, and if you have a Nandroid, that can save you from many bad things that can happen when flashing ROMs.

How to i get a nandroid and how to access recovery mode? do i need to be bricked for it or what?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
how to access recovery mode?

I am not familiar with the Galaxy Nexus, but from a powered off state, try volume down and power. That will bring you to the bootloader. You press volume down until you see 'Recovery Mode' and press power.

How to i get a nandroid

If you have a custom recovery installed (i.e. ClockworkMod, or TWRP) you select Backup.

do i need to be bricked for it or what?

Bricked is a bad thing. If you made a Nanadroid, and become bricked (bad thing, remember) first thing to attempt is to reboot into recovery and restore your Nandroid.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Wow! Talk about a helpful thread! Thank you Madd54 for pointing me in the right direction. I'll be going through the recommendations made here by SpookDroid and Golfdriver for sure. Probably others as I get more into it. Thanks everyone.

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Yea bricked is a 100% dead phone right?
There's a soft brick that can usually be fixed and then there's a hard brick where you have a fancy paper weight......lol

If you follow the instructions to a T, you should be good. I would also recommend looking for YouTube videos on how to root/flash ROMs. They help me greatly!

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
If you're in the process of downloading something while in ODIN Mode, DO NOT turn your phone off and always make sure you have plenty of battery life :)

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Can odin brick it?
If the device is turned off during the flashing process or the wrong files are used. I've used ODIN for many Samsung devices and didn't have an issue because I read everything before I did anything to my phones.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Ok as long as you dont SMASH THE F OUT OF THE DEVICE WITH A HAMMER or flash wrong files or turn it off

You should be good?

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
If the device is turned off during the flashing process or the wrong files are used. I've used ODIN for many Samsung devices and didn't have an issue because I read everything before I did anything to my phones.

Sorry for the many posts but what is flashing?