Who makes default Android browser?

rlf57

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone tell me who makes what's known as the default Android browser (and I don't mean Chrome)? Is it Google? I just purchased an unlocked Google Nexus 5 to use for testing mobile web applications and it only came with Chrome. I went to Google Play to see if I could download the older Android browser that comes on your typical Android phone but there are over a dozen browsers there and I'm not sure which one (if any of them) is the one I'm looking for.

Thanks.

beanboy89

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
You're probably talking about the AOSP browser that was included with Android pre-KitKat. That browser was also made by Google, but there's no way (AFAIK) to install it without root or a custom ROM. As far as testing webpages with it, both Chrome and the AOSP browser run the WebKit rendering engine, so there should be next to no difference in the way the two browsers handle pages.

Indoler

Banned
Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Can anyone tell me who makes what's known as the default Android browser (and I don't mean Chrome)? Is it Google? I just purchased an unlocked Google Nexus 5 to use for testing mobile web applications and it only came with Chrome. I went to Google Play to see if I could download the older Android browser that comes on your typical Android phone but there are over a dozen browsers there and I'm not sure which one (if any of them) is the one I'm looking for.

Afaik the preinstalled default Android browser is a stripped Chrome browser with an adapted UI style. Made by Google.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair