Hangouts: How to Delete Unwanted Confirmed Phone Numbers

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I ran into trouble with this issue and found a way to resolve it. I thought I'd post here for anyone who encounters it. Note that to use SMS (texts) with Hangouts, you need to confirm your phone's telephone number in the Hangouts app settings. Once confirmed, you can receive text messages with the app.

A few months ago, I got an AT&T prepaid SIM to use while I was on Kauai. I had found out beforehand that T-Mobile doesn't have LTE or 3G data there, so I figured I'd swap SIM's while on Kauai so I'd have LTE/3G data. The AT&T SIM naturally had a different telephone number associated with it than my usual T-Mobile SIM. This wasn't much of a problem because I primarily use a Google Voice number, but I also took the extra step of confirming the AT&T number within the Hangouts app so I'd get SMS with the AT&T number.

When I got home, I put my T-Mobile SIM back in and reconfirmed its number within Hangouts. All was fine, except that I couldn't get rid of the AT&T number I had confirmed. There's simply no way to delete a confirmed number within the app at present. This would eventually become an issue too; I never intend to use that AT&T number again, but it would still be "confirmed" to my account. I had no idea what would have happen once the number is tossed back into AT&T's system and assigned to someone else.

After looking for a workaround for months, I finally found a way to delete numbers you've confirmed with the Hangouts app that you don't want there anymore. Note that the number associated with your normal SIM, the one you use everyday, should be confirmed. I'm talking about deleting old, unused, or unwanted numbers from swapping SIM's if you've confirmed them within the Hangouts app.

1. Sign in to your Google account on a computer and head to your account settings.

2. Under "Personal Info", you'll see "Email & Phone". Click "Edit".

3. You'll see all your phone numbers listed there. Click "Edit" for the one you want to delete that you had confirmed in the Hangouts app.

4. Go through the steps to remove the number permanently.

This should be enough, but I noticed that the change didn't immediately sync back to the Hangouts app on my phone. If you find that to be the case, take the additional steps below.

5. In the Hangouts app on your phone, go to settings and sign out of the account that was associated with the number you just deleted. There will be only one account unless you have multiple Google accounts.

6. Sign back in with your account. The number should be gone.

That's it. Like magic, the telephone number should be deleted.

This bothered me for months and I couldn't find a specific solution anywhere, so I thought I'd post something here for anyone having trouble. Cheers!

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thank you but you never had to confirm the At&t number to continue getting SMSs. They would of just went to your stock text app instead till you went back to your T-Mobile SIM.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Though it's a moot point now, you didn't need to confirm your number with Hangouts to get SMS. Confirming your number associates the phone number with your Google account so that it can be used for things like Caller ID by Google and Hangouts (the messaging protocol, not SMS through Hangouts). It explains this if you tap More Info under the Confirm option.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I use Hangouts for SMS. I dont have another SMS/MMS app installed (I use a Nexus 5), so Hangouts is my only SMS/MMS app (besides the Google Voice app, which only handles stuff for your GV number). I should make it clear that if you use a different app for SMS and never will or have confirmed a number to make Hangouts your default SMS handler, this won't be an issue at all.

If Hangouts is your only SMS handler, this can be an issue. The problem wasn't getting back to my original number, which was easy. I just confirmed it again once I popped in my original sim. The problem was getting rid of the lingering second number that was confirmed but I needed to delete. So, if you have confirmed two numbers and want to get rid of one in Hangouts, this is a way to do it.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I seriously don't understand why you "need" to remove unused confirmed numbers because I still have like 7 old numbers confirmed and have never had any problems from it.

Dreamcyfer

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Actually this just resolved a serious problem for me when gave phone to wife and she gave number to friends then couldn't get calls even after full reset and disable of Hangouts, they STILL rang MY phone! This was a life saver, THANK YOU!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2