Micro USB cables

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
Always handy to have a couple of micro USB cables for your Droid. One at home, one in the car, one at the office, etc. MicroCenter sells 'em for a ridiculous $8, I've found 'em online for $2-3 or so.

But over the weekend my daughter needed something for a school project so we went to the "dollar store" (I think it's Dollar Tree?) and while wandering around I discovered they had USB cables, including MicroUSB cables. For $1! I bought 3 of 'em.

Now, I'll admit that one of them didn't work, and driving back to return it costs more in gas than it's really worth, so I just chucked it and figure the two working ones were $1.50.

Anyway, might want to check out your local crap -- er, dollar store too.

Reactions: Brett

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
There is a difference between CHARGING cables and DATA cables. I did not know this until recently, which seriously hurt my geek cred (who invented a USB charge only!?!?). But, at that price they are definitely charge cables only. Nothing wrong with that, but do not open a post later about USB connection to your PC only working to charge your phone and not for data when using your $1 cables :).

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
There is a difference between CHARGING cables and DATA cables. I did not know this until recently, which seriously hurt my geek cred (who invented a USB charge only!?!?). But, at that price they are definitely charge cables only. Nothing wrong with that, but do not open a post later about USB connection to your PC only working to charge your phone and not for data when using your $1 cables :).

Sorry, but I've used 'em for both data transfer and charging.

Brett

Retired Moderator
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
that is not a bad deal at all. i gotta check those out one day. im always looking for a micro usb cord and i can never find the one in my house when i need it. currently i have 2, 1 in my car for my fm transmitter/charger and one in my house. it couldn't hurt taking the risk for a few bucks.

thanks for the info dcreed

dcreed

May 26, 2010
www.acrobotica.com
that is not a bad deal at all. i gotta check those out one day. im always looking for a micro usb cord and i can never find the one in my house when i need it. currently i have 2, 1 in my car for my fm transmitter/charger and one in my house. it couldn't hurt taking the risk for a few bucks.

thanks for the info dcreed

Now, if I were smart, I'd go buy 'em up at the crap store, take 'em out of the packaging, and sell 'em for $5 on eBay.

- Dave

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have 2 data/charge cables, one kept at home and the 2nd with my net book. I recently started using Websharing by NexApp to move files around via the home network and that has substantially reduced cable usage. I use Google Docs to move spreadsheets around.