I'm trying to set up some profiles with Tasker (it does certainly have a learning curve) and am trying to figure out what settings I need on when.

I understand GPS is a big battery draw. Is it useful any other time besides when I'm doing driving directions? Is it what it uses for google searches for nearby places or is it somehow able to get that information? Also, I assume GPS is what my weather app uses to know where I am?

Thanks for helping point me in the right direction
    11-09-2010 09:57 PM
    I leave my GPS on all the time. Apps that behave themselves only use GPS when they need it, and then turn it off when they're done. Apps that don't behave themselves get removed from my phone
    11-10-2010 09:33 PM
    Yep, I was of the belief that it was a huge battery drain, and maybe in the beginning it was. But now, apps turn it on and off as needed, so it's easier to just leave it on.
    11-11-2010 09:47 AM
    I understand GPS is a big battery draw. Is it useful any other time besides when I'm doing driving directions? Is it what it uses for google searches for nearby places or is it somehow able to get that information? Also, I assume GPS is what my weather app uses to know where I am?
    Any number of apps can use GPS. Even the Google homepage will use GPS if you have location enabled for the page. You really need to review what you have loaded and why. Location-based functionality may not matter to you for certain apps.

Personally, I just leave GPS on. Having GPS on doesn't kill your battery. Actively using the GPS receiver (you'll have a GPS icon in your notification bar when it's active) does.

But now, apps turn it on and off as needed, so it's easier to just leave it on.
    Properly coded apps have always done this.
    11-12-2010 03:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD