What phone should I get when my contract is up?

mmaarrkmcc

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
My contract is up Oct 1st and i'm wondering what the best phone for me is.
My top priority's in a phone is that :
1 : it has great battery life
2 : great speed
3 : a screen of a least 4.7"
4 : a screen and camera with higher quality than that of an iPhone 5

palandri

Apr 30, 2009
Visit site
If you want the best in Android, go to the source. Wait for the Nexus 6 from Google. You're getting top hardware, no carrier bloat, and guaranteed updates as soon as they come out.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Nokia still has the best camera - but it's a Windows phone. But most phones have cameras at least as good (as far as picture quality) as film cameras. If you want panorama, 3D, etc., it's in the specs, so choose a phone that does that.

Speed? Look at the CPU speed on the specs. Usually, the faster the CPU runs, the faster the phone runs. You also want as much internal storage as you can get (that's where your apps will be stored) and at least 2GB of RAM, preferably more. Faster is better than more cores, if you have that choice - a 3GHz quad core will generally run apps faster than a 2GHz 8 core.

Great battery life? Android isn't known for great battery life. Good battery life (time between charges), if you run the phone right (Greenify almost everything, keep the screen as dim as possible, keep the screen off as much as possible, keep any radio - GPS, wifi, mobile data, Bluetooth - off when you're not using it) is about the best you can do. Check the phone's listed standby and talk times. (They're not real-world, but most manufacturers use about the same test, so the relationship is fairly accurate - one listed as lasting longer probably will - but not as long as they claim. If you're talking about time between replacing batteries, condition the battery before you use the phone (I won't even let them set my phone up with the battery I'll be keeping), and charge at about 40%-60% charge point. You'll see lots of comments about "lithium batteries no longer need to be conditioned". New ones never did, but a lithium battery sitting on the shelf for a few months does - and you have no way of knowing how long your battery was sitting at the battery manufacturer's or phone manufacturer's warehouse before you got it. I don't know whether it works or not - but I'm still using the original battery in my Motorola V551 - and it's 10 years old. Whenever I take it out to use, and it's been sitting in the drawer for a few months, it gets conditioned.

As far as which phone, that's like which flavor. I won't buy a phone I can't get the battery out of quickly. (Lithium technology still produces batteries that can overheat to the point that they can weld steel. Pop the back, shake, and the concrete cracks, but your $700 phone doesn't play road flare.) And replacing a $13 battery is a lot cheaper than sending the phone in for a $75 battery replacement.

I also prefer a phone with an external SD card, although the industry seems to be moving away from that, and toward a false sense that a phone without one is more secure.

But choose the carrier (based on having coverage where you need coverage), check the specs (battery standby time, talk time) then go into the store and play with the ones you haven't written off. The phone I absolutely can't live without may be one you can't stand, so you have to choose the one you like best.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish