As the title implies I am looking for a phone, Android of course, for my daughter. My second daughter in fact. As my signature implies I have an Evo and I my wife has my old Hero. My oldest daughter also has a Hero. If you haven't guessed by now I'm on Sprint.

Since the Hero is getting long in tooth I am considering several phones for my daughter and need some help since there aren't a lot of comparisons out there. Please suggest others if you know them well.

This will be my daughters first phone. It will be added as a line to our family plan. She will not be getting an Evo or Epic. Period. I don't really want to spend more the $149 (After MIR). I do not like the Moment and haven't since it was released. I've heard the Intercept is ok. Since this will be her first phone and she has small hands I don't believe she needs a hardware keyboard. A phone that has or will get 2.2 without rooting would be great.

Possible phones
    Optimus S
    Transform
    Zio
    Hero
    Intercept

NOT going to happen
    Evo
    Epic
    Moment
    Motorola i1

TIA
    11-14-2010 03:40 PM
    I've heard nothing but good about the Optimus, and I'm pretty sure it comes with Froyo out of the box, and is relatively cheap. I think it's the phone you're looking for.
    11-14-2010 04:53 PM
    +1 for the optimus

I've heard the transform has minor problems, a buddy of mine hasn't experienced any of them though. It was a nice keyboard, though its on 2.1 like the hero.

I'd recommend the hero over the optimus if your willing to root it for her and put cyanogen on it, otherwise no.

I wouldn't touch the zio or the intercept.

Hope this helped ya.
    11-14-2010 06:48 PM
    I would get the wife an evo or the Epic. Give the Hero to the daughter.
    This way the other daughter won't be upset that her younger daughter got something better.
    11-15-2010 12:13 PM
    I got an optimus yesterday on one of my lines (I have an EVO myself) and I have to say, if I couldnt have my EVO, I'd gladly take the optimus. It is a really nice phone.
    11-15-2010 12:40 PM
    the intercept is just a replacement for the moment. ive had the moment for over a year now with no problems. if you dont like the moment you wont like the intercept. try the hero for her first phone it will her all the basics she needs for future android goodness.
    11-15-2010 12:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD