... and get rid of my bug-ridden pig of a windows phone.

I'm with Verizon and have been looking at Android phones for the past year. I was just in the store today to look at my options, and I'm torn between the Incredible and Droid X. My Windows phone is an Imagio, and even with the problems I've had, I do like what HTC has to offer. I've not had a Motorola phone since the old flip brick phone (a few years back... lol).

Then, to add even more confusion is the rumor that an Incredible HD is on the way soon. Even tho we won't have LTE here in Milwaukee for a while, having it available when I travel would be appreciated.

I will be using this device mostly as a very portable laptop. I've moved to all cloud apps, and pretty much use GMail and GApps for everything in my business. I will likely tinker with the phone and get rid of all the bloatware. About the only non-biz stuff will be social networking, photos and videos.

Last - I'm using Swype as my keyboard on the Imagio and love it. I know the X has a Swype keyboard (without a stylus), and that the current Incredible doesn't have it. Not having Swype isn't a deal breaker, and I'm hoping a version will be out there for HTC Android devices soon.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I've been here for a few days reading and lurking and truly appreciate the contributions of the masses who come her every day.

Rick
    11-15-2010 03:22 PM
    If you are looking to buy now, know the HTC Merge/Incredible HD probably won't come out until after Verizon flips the big switch for LTE, which may not happen until after CES next year.

DInc and the X are both great phones, I have the former and a good buddy of mine has the latter. Nice thing about the X is the larger screen, which may be helpful if you intend to use it as a "very portable laptop". Verizon does have (I think) a 30 day return policy, so you can always pull the trigger on one and get the other if you end up not liking it.
    restorick likes this.
    11-15-2010 03:30 PM
    If you are looking to buy now, know the HTC Merge/Incredible HD probably won't come out until after Verizon flips the big switch for LTE, which may not happen until after CES next year.

DInc and the X are both great phones, I have the former and a good buddy of mine has the latter. Nice thing about the X is the larger screen, which may be helpful if you intend to use it as a "very portable laptop". Verizon does have (I think) a 30 day return policy, so you can always pull the trigger on one and get the other if you end up not liking it.
    Kyle,

Thanks for the quick reply. One other reason I've been leaning toward the DInc is that it seems to be easier to root the phone. At least that's what I've been able to glean from the past 2 days of poring through this site.

The rumor mill has me hedging a bit. Waiting a couple of months for CES won't kill me. OTOH, I could get one of the phones now and sell it on eBay when the HD/LTE comes out.

Decisions, decisions...

Rick
    11-15-2010 03:42 PM
    If you can't wait, and like to tinker and root. Then get the inc. Motorola isn't friendly with that stuff and rooting unlocks a world of possibilities.

The larger 4.3 is nice, but the inc has amoled/slcd and will look better.

Short and sweet - root then get inc, stock then get DX
    11-15-2010 04:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD