I recently dropped my HTC One and the microphone is now knackered, people telling me they could only hear distortion on the other end (same if I used the voice recorder/recorded video).
    The HTC One uses a dual membrane mic. After doing a self-diagnosis I found that 'Mic 1' was faulty, but that 'Mic 2' still works fine (which explains why people said they could vaguely hear my voice).
    I have two questions:
    1 - If I root my phone, is there any way of disabling Mic 1? If yes...
    2 - Would Mic 2, when used alone, be adequately good/loud enough to use to make calls?

Many thanks,
    Dan.
    10-15-2014 06:17 AM
    Hello Dan, welcome to the forums! 🙋

That's an interesting question. I don't have the answer for you, but I'll ask the other ambassadors to see if they can help you.
    10-15-2014 06:20 AM
    Many thanks Stargate. The diagnosis test isolates each mic, so I'm assuming it's theoretically possible, it's just whether it's a practical solution.
    I'd rather not pay for a costly repair, considering my contract runs out in little over six months!
    10-15-2014 08:06 AM
    It turns out the dual membrane business was a red-herring, what the second mic test was actually testing was in fact the rear microphone. I didn't even realise there was a rear microphone. Oops.
    So my question is in fact: Is it possible to use the rear microphone for voice calls?
    And now I realise that is the question, I wonder if it's worth it, even if it is possible. Given its physical location, I imagine I would need to use loud-speaker anyhow, which might not always be practical!
    I might just pick up a replacement USB part that includes the mic for 15 quid and have a crack myself. How difficult can it be..?
    10-15-2014 06:26 PM
    Would it simply be feasible to get a Bluetooth headset? Microphone issue aside, it's handy if you need to check something on your phone or type notes related to the call, and saves your arm on long calls. I just think they're a good idea all around to use.
    10-16-2014 04:29 AM
    Well that is the other alternative. Probably a safer option than cracking my phone option and beats lugging around my headphones as I am at the moment. My only concern is Bluetooth draining the already dreadful battery life. But I suppose I can live with it. Thanks!
    10-16-2014 05:04 AM
    I know it'll drain some power, but it doesn't seem to be very noticeable if just on standby. You could also turn it off when not planning to use it. You may even have a system widget to toggle it quickly.

I know I'm not answering your original question, but I think having a Bluetooth headset on hand has enough potential benefits that it's worth suggesting as an alternative.
    10-16-2014 09:55 AM
    I might just pick up a replacement USB part that includes the mic for 15 quid and have a crack myself. How difficult can it be..?
    Not very - if you've already done a few of them under supervision on phones too badly damaged to fix for a reasonable price. (That's how techs learn.)

How difficult is it if you get a cable pinched when you put it back together? Or if you break something?

After a couple of decades of repairing cellphones, my advice is always to not try to repair the insides of your own phone. (Unless you want to help to send the children of the owner of the repair shop to university.)
    10-16-2014 04:54 PM