I have an app from the app store that is no longer available. Can I find the app file on my phone, transfer it to my computer, then sideload (if that's the right term) it to my new phone. It was a free app that's work related. - the specifics really doesn't matter, though it's no secret. It's called XR-Express.

Update: I think I found a website that has the apk. Can I just download it to my PC then just email it to myself and open it on my phone? Though I'd still like to know if I can get the file off my old phone.
    10-19-2014 02:59 AM
    I have an app from the app store that is no longer available. Can I find the app file on my phone, transfer it to my computer, then sideload (if that's the right term) it to my new phone. It was a free app that's work related. - the specifics really doesn't matter, though it's no secret. It's called XR-Express.

Update: I think I found a website that has the apk. Can I just download it to my PC then just email it to myself and open it on my phone? Though I'd still like to know if I can get the file off my old phone.
    You can email the apk.. open it on your phone and install the apk. That's the method I would use. No need for a computer. Ensure you have the "Install apps from unknown sources" enabled. You can find this setting under SETTINGS... SECURITY.... UNKNOWN SOURCES.
    I found the app here:

http://androidsite.in/software/view/...&get-h=Medical

http://exjar.com/game_557249/XR-EXpress.apk.html

Go to these link(s) with your phone and download and install directly.
    hal1 likes this.
    10-19-2014 03:25 AM
    Just in case though, is there a way to get the file off my current phone to load on my new upcoming phone?
    10-19-2014 09:06 AM
    Back it up with an app that backs up to .apk files. I use App Backup & Restore for that. I wouldn't download apk files from unknown sites - that's just asking for malware.
    hal1 likes this.
    10-20-2014 10:14 PM
    Back it up with an app that backs up to .apk files. I use App Backup & Restore for that. I wouldn't download apk files from unknown sites - that's just asking for malware.
    Bammo. Thanks for the info and the app link. Couldn't have been easier.
    10-29-2014 07:01 PM
    Glad to have helped. From now on, if you install a new app, back it up and copy the apk file to your computer. Then, when you want to reinstall an app, and the Play Store is down, or you have no internet connection, no problem. (I still have apk files from Gingerbread apps - Maps was a decent app back then.)
    10-30-2014 06:48 PM