Weird-o-rama. I'll try to keep this as short as possible.

Left my Nexus 4 w/ a broken screen in a drawer for 2 months while I awaited official word of Nexus 6 pricing/specs. When I realized the 6 was out of my price range, I fixed my Nexus 4's broken screen and powered it up.

At first glance, all seemed fine, but I've been having very odd battery issues. Mainly, the phone will just instantly shut off even though the battery is showing 70% or higher. A couple times it has made a loud screeching noise in the process. Sometimes getting the phone to turn back on requires just setting it on a charger for a few seconds, but after only a few seconds of charge, when it boots up, it may show a charge of 40-60%. It seems to be random as far as what I'm doing on the phone, or if I'm even using the phone at all. Here are a few screenshots showing the sudden drop in battery life.

Nexus 4 battery drops from 70-80% in an instant.  Phone shuts off. (high pitched noise)-screenshot_2014-10-19-22-29-20.png
    Nexus 4 battery drops from 70-80% in an instant.  Phone shuts off. (high pitched noise)-screenshot_2014-10-20-16-30-35.png
    Nexus 4 battery drops from 70-80% in an instant.  Phone shuts off. (high pitched noise)-screenshot_2014-10-22-13-22-23.png

Is my battery toast? Do I need to try another method of calibration? I've read that a factory reset won't do it. All out of ideas. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.
    10-22-2014 01:28 PM
    As I'm sure you've now learned, leaving a battery in a device with the device off for a long period of time is not very good for it. My best suggestion would be to turn the phone off and leave it plugged in for ~3 hours, then unplug it an boot it up. Use it until it drains to around ~30-40% (you don't really want to deep-discharge LiPo batteries) and cycle it from there.
    10-22-2014 02:31 PM
    Thanks for the info. I will give that a go tonight/tomorrow and report back.
    10-22-2014 03:44 PM
    I went ahead and ordered a new battery and slapped it in there last night. It appears to have resolved my issue. It charges fully, runs down as expected, and no random shutoffs ever since even though I've been throwing youtube videos and graphically-intense games at it. Thanks for the assistance. I'm pretty sure I bent the battery during my repair of the screen a while back, and that's what did it. Partially busted it, so when it got to that region of the battery and tried to pull juice, it just bleeped out. The hissing sound probably meant it was about to explode. No big deal.
    10-24-2014 09:54 AM