HTC EVO 4G LTE it's not rooted

Android Settings / Storage

It shows 3 areas where data is stored:

App Storage: 5.83 GB / 6.07 GB
    • Apps 1.82 GB
    • Other 4.01 GB
    • Available 248 MB (very low, and the reason for this post)

Phone Storage: 444 MB / 9.93 GB
    • Apps 406 MB
    • Music 8.89 MB
    • Photos & Videos 15.63 MB
    • Downloads 3.29 MB
    • Other 7.41 MB
    • Available 9.50 GB (lots of room)

SD Storage: 4.89 GB / 29.57 GB
    • Available 24.68 GB (lots of room)

I'm frequently warned about running out of space. Obviously this must be due to the small amount left in "App Storage" because the other two areas have many GBs free.

I use CleanMaster to clean junk daily.

I guess App storage is a finite space pre-defined on the phone. How can I see what "Other 4.01 GB" within App Storage is? Is it Android overhead?

I have moved every app that I can. It's confusing to me where the apps get moved to. I'd rather that they go to SD if they can. I've also uninstalled lots of apps.

I've moved all the photos over to SD. The music is currently on Phone Storage, but there is a lot of free space in Phone Storage.

I need to know how to make more room in App Storage.
    10-23-2014 12:22 PM
    Review this guide, and see if the tips are helpful: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-warnings.html
    koam likes this.
    10-23-2014 12:42 PM
    Thanks. That article explains the situation well.

Unfortunately, the tips didn't get me far. I did go through and delete all my old text messages. I am still struggling to diagnose what causes that 4 GB of "OTHER" to eat up most of my App storage.

I'm currently trying to figure out if my several Gmail accounts in the Gmail app and 2 Outlook accounts in the Mail app are contributing to this bloated "OTHER" 4 GB. The app Data sizes are not showing that of course. But I wonder if there is a lot of Gmail saved. I'm thinking about deleting the Gmail updates and data. Settings Apps says that Gmail has a cache of only 5.77 MB and Data of 6 MB....so not a lot.

I also wonder if my Facebook apps are creating a bloated amount of Contacts to bog down the phone. I've taken the step of removing the updates to Facebook (it's preinstalled) and removing the data. But that hasn't solved it either.
    10-23-2014 03:36 PM
    1) Don't delete emails unless you really don't need them - archive them. (See GMail)

2) Clean Master has a function to clean up RAM. DON'T USE IT. This is Android, not Windows - it's not supposed to have free RAM. (See Multitasking the Android Way by an Android software engineer - she should know how it works.)

3) "Other" could be the apps the system uses.

The best way to see what's going on (but the most time consuming way) is to back everything up (use Helium) - both apps you installed and data. Then factory reset and see how much app space you have available. (If it's around 2GB, the phone was running normally before you reset it.) Restore everything. Don't run anything, but look at your app storage setting again. If you have a lot more free space, but it gets smaller as you use the phone, without installing any apps, either there's a rogue app or some app is storing data in app storage space.
    koam likes this.
    10-23-2014 04:05 PM
    Thanks for the info.

Regarding 1) I never delete emails in Gmail, but I'm wondering how many emails the phone stores from Gmail. The App Data stats don't say it's a large amount.

I also don't know if Contacts may have run amok and overpopulated, as used to happen years ago, via Facebook and other Contacts lists being imported to the phone multiple times. I've tried to adjust this by Removing the Facebook apps and some of my Gmail accounts from the phone, however this has not cleared up the 4GB of "Other" in the App Storage area. I did free up about 200 MB by removing some apps and some data, but that's a drop in the bucket. I haven't yet tried the Backup and wipe the phone method.
    10-24-2014 02:02 PM
    HTC EVO 4G LTE it's not rooted

Android Settings / Storage

It shows 3 areas where data is stored:

App Storage: 5.83 GB / 6.07 GB
    • Apps 1.82 GB
    • Other 4.01 GB
    • Available 248 MB (very low, and the reason for this post)

Phone Storage: 444 MB / 9.93 GB
    • Apps 406 MB
    • Music 8.89 MB
    • Photos & Videos 15.63 MB
    • Downloads 3.29 MB
    • Other 7.41 MB
    • Available 9.50 GB (lots of room)

SD Storage: 4.89 GB / 29.57 GB
    • Available 24.68 GB (lots of room)

I'm frequently warned about running out of space. Obviously this must be due to the small amount left in "App Storage" because the other two areas have many GBs free.

I use CleanMaster to clean junk daily.

I guess App storage is a finite space pre-defined on the phone. How can I see what "Other 4.01 GB" within App Storage is? Is it Android overhead?

I have moved every app that I can. It's confusing to me where the apps get moved to. I'd rather that they go to SD if they can. I've also uninstalled lots of apps.

I've moved all the photos over to SD. The music is currently on Phone Storage, but there is a lot of free space in Phone Storage.

I need to know how to make more room in App Storage.
    10-25-2014 10:56 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do you have a question?
    10-26-2014 12:55 AM