After using an app, what is the correct way of close/exiting it?

I usually just press the home key or back key on the S4 phone to close the app, not sure if it is really closed, or maybe still running at background.

Thanks
    10-26-2014 10:43 AM
    If it is an app that i use a lot, I usually hit home. The app gets suspended. So it is sort of running in the background. Keep in mind, Android likes having RAM full and apps suspended like that. It takes less power and effort to bring them back to the foreground.

Hitting back until you get to the home screen is fine too...does the same thing.
    acsurfer likes this.
    10-26-2014 10:48 AM
    There are apps and there are processes. Android itself handles which part closes and which doesn't, it's not as simple as Windows. Read Multitasking the Android Way written by an Android software engineer to understand how the process works. Whether you press the Home button or the Back button, Android keeps those processes it thinks should stay in RAM there. You can use some apps to actually clear an app out of RAM (close it, in Windows terminology), but that messes with Android's memory manager and, at best, makes the phone slower until things are back to normal.
    acsurfer likes this.
    10-26-2014 01:29 PM
    1. If I am watching a video halfway (video has loaded halfway in youtube) in the internet browser, then I press home key or back key on the phone to close the app. Is the browser app still running or consuming data?

2. I press and hold the home key in S4, and a tile list of recent apps pop up. Are those apps still running? Do I need to swipe it left/right to make the app disappear so that it is closed? Or is that list just a list of history of apps I have opened before?
    10-26-2014 06:55 PM
    1. If I am watching a video halfway (video has loaded halfway in youtube) in the internet browser, then I press home key or back key on the phone to close the app. Is the browser app still running or consuming data?

2. I press and hold the home key in S4, and a tile list of recent apps pop up. Are those apps still running? Do I need to swipe it left/right to make the app disappear so that it is closed? Or is that list just a list of history of apps I have opened before?
    1. It should pause everything. I might be wrong, I have never really paid much attention.
    2. Those apps are suspended. They are in memory, but should not be running. Swiping does close them, but remember, a suspended app is held in memory for faster recollection.
    acsurfer likes this.
    10-26-2014 09:40 PM