Is there a way to send and receive texts via email or app?

applestreudels

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Ways to send and receive texts via email or app.

I have a Galaxy S4 on T-Mobile. I work in an environment that gets no cell service and am looking for a way to receive and send SMS and MMS via browser or email.
So far I've only come across Google Voice as an answer, but using a new google number is not exactly what I'm looking for/even when I tried to set it up out of desperation, I was having some errors on setup.
Are there settings on the S4 or maybe apps that would get me this function?
Thanks.
UPDATE: Apologies if I wasn't clearer. I'd like to send and receive SMS and MMS via DESKTOP browser or email.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Ways to send and receive texts via email or app.

SMS is a 2G phone function, so you can't send an SMS without cell service. (MMS is just an SMS with a link to a file sitting on a server somewhere.) There are apps that allow you to send and receive text messages to and from others - but they have to be using the same app.

What you're asking for (since it uses the same path) is the ability to make and receive phone calls without cell service. Skype (if you disregard the paid "call to a telephone" part, would work - if the other party had Skype. Same with SMS.

Google Voice is about your only option, AFAIK, for actual SMS at the moment. (Hangouts is text messaging, but not SMS.)

applestreudels

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. I think I was a little unclear in my question, although your response had a lot of the information I was looking for. I am hoping that there's something that will enable me to send/receive SMS and/or MMS via desktop.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site

Easy to do.... Unless you want to use your carrier phone number, in which case it's impossible.

The only exception is if you're using a Motorola phone, their Connect app makes it work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22