I have a ZTE Z830 Compel Gophone with KitKat on which I saved all my photos to the sd card (or so I thought). I have also saved my Contacts information to the sd card. How do retrieve/view what data/photos is supposed to be on the sd card. I tried to use Gallery but it says there are no photos. Did my pictures somehow get erased? I just saved the Contacts info to the card but I don't know how to tell what is actually on the sd card. Is there some kind of menu to show what's on the card? Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give.
    10-27-2014 07:09 PM
    First off did you format the card before moving?
    If you moved the photos to the SD card they should be viewable in the Gallery.. I would suggest removing the card and connecting it to your computer to see what is there.. If you can find them move them to a tmp directory you created on your computer then format the card after you re-install to your phone..
    10-27-2014 08:05 PM
    Duplicate post for some reason...
    10-27-2014 08:05 PM
    How do I format the sd card. I have not done that yet. Thank you for your help. P.S. How do I connect the sd card to my laptop? Is there an slot to plug the card into somewhere? Sorry, this old man isn't very techy.
    10-27-2014 10:31 PM
    How do I format the sd card.
    By restarting into recovery (how you do that depends on the phone - hold a few of the buttons down while you press the power button, usually - and I'm not familiar with ZTE). There's an option on the menu there. (You could - but shouldn't - in your laptop.)

How do I connect the sd card to my laptop? Is there an slot to plug the card into somewhere?
    On some laptops there is, on others you need a microSD-to-USB adapter to plug the card into a USB port on the laptop. (Or, if you have a microSD-to-SD adapter [it looks like a full size SD card] that came with the microSD card, you can use an SD-to-USB adapter. In either case, they're cheap, and the card will show up in the laptop as a new drive (you have a C drive, and probably a D drive, which is your CD/DVD drive. The card will become the E drive.)

Sorry, this old man isn't very techy.
    Some are, some aren't, no need to apologize. I spent 40 years designing computers and software, so this is like boiling water to me, but I can't draw a straight line. We all know what we know, and don't know what we don't know. Cats make lousy dogs. (And if you're as old as I am, you already knew all that.)
    10-27-2014 11:24 PM
    I don't have an option to format the sd card on my phone that I can find anywhere. Holding and pushing the buttons only gives the options to reboot, reset to factory, etc. but no sd format. The only options I see is to unmount, mount and erase the card in the Storage menu. When I do that I get the message "preparing sd card". Does that mean that its being formatted? I have exported (I think) my contacts list and a picture to the sd card but the memory space still shows 3.69 GB total and 3.69 GB available. The phone shows that the data was exported to the sd card. ???
    10-28-2014 10:26 AM
    How can I tell if anything is saved on the sd card?
    10-28-2014 02:10 PM
    Isn't there a 'My Files' app on your device? It should be stock.
    10-28-2014 03:13 PM
    1. In Settings>Storage, tap Unmount SD card.

2. Remove the SD card, and then insert it into your computer's SD card reader. Unless you have a very old or very cheap laptop, there should be an SD card reader built-in. You will have to insert the microSD card into a full-sized SD card adapter first (like this one: http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-microS...cUvbUpU4003250), then insert the whole adapter into the SD card slot.

3. On your computer, open Windows Explorer (assuming you have a Windows PC), then explore the SD card. Depending on how many drives you have, it might be the D:, E:, or F: drive. Do you see the photos there?

I'm not sure how you were saving your Contacts to the SD card. Contacts are either associated with your Google account (which syncs automatically with your Google account in the cloud, thus keeping your data safe in case your phone crashes) or with your Phone account (which only saves contacts locally, and can be totally lost if something happens to the phone). Obviously, I don't recommend the latter. The file that holds all of your Phone account contacts is not normally accessible by the user.

Contacts can be exported to an external SD card, after which that file can be imported somewhere else--but I don't think that's what you did. Contacts can sometimes be saved to the SIM card (not the SD), but I also don't recommend this either, because SIM cards have limited storage for contacts.
    10-28-2014 05:36 PM
    Treetopsranch: The only folder I see listed is the File Manager folder. Nothing listed as "my files".

B. Diddy: Yes, I exported all contact data to the sd card. It looks like the information is on the sd card from what I can tell. I also exported 3 photos to the sd card and they show up. I guess I'll just have to get a sd to USB adaptor and put it in the laptop to see what I can find out. My laptop is a Lenovo G570 about 3 years old. I don't see a card slot anywhere on it.
    10-28-2014 06:14 PM
    It ought to have an SD slot, according to the specs: Lenovo Essential G570 Specs - CNET. Look along the edge for a slot where a full-sized SD card would fit. It might not be labeled clearly.
    10-28-2014 06:37 PM
    Finally found the sd slot. It is on the lower right front corner. Now I just have to get an adaptor for the micro sd card. I was playing with the phone and some how did a search on the SIMS card. Got a return message that there are no photos or contacts on the SIMS card. So I guess the photos and contacts have to be on the sd micro card. Just trying to figure this thing out. Thanks for all of your help. I have an ATT Gophone (ZTE Z830 Compel) and it doesn't seem to have exactly the same functions in the same places as a "standard" KitKat 4.4.2 or what's discussed on here for other Android phones. I emailed ZTE Support with this question and got a reply that says to contact the provider or the store where I bought the phone. That's really some great support!
    10-28-2014 07:00 PM
    You can export a Contacts file to the SD card, but your Contacts app still uses the contacts in the internal database. That file is used for, say, your phone is destroyed, or the contacts get messed up, and some of them are Phone, Device or SIM contacts - not backed up to Google. You can import that file to Google Contacts (and merge duplicates - it's in the More pulldown, as is Import), to get all your contacts back.

As far as formatting the card, "preparing" the card probably quick formats it. If you do that you should see only 2 folders on it - LOST.DIR and one other (I forget the name). That will tell you that the card's been formatted. (You can format the card in your computer (as a FAT32 volume or, if it's 64GB or larger, an exFAT volume), just like any drive, but some phones don't like cards not formatted with those 2 folders on them (and the computer won't do that).

BTW, you pay for support. The cheaper the service (and the phone), the worse the service - usually. (Although I've gotten some pretty bad service from some companies that put out pretty expensive products.) It's why I pay more for an AT&T account - their tech support here is fantastic. (And I don't come in with the easy questions - I fix those things by myself. When I come in with a problem they're most likely to ask if my data is all backed up, because they can't fix it and have to replace my phone.)
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-29-2014 02:12 PM