I have a Bright tab tablet that came with kitkat 4.4.2 installed I am having a problem with an app I downloaded not being removed by a factory reset. So guessing I will need to root it to get rid of this unwanted app. Can anyone help me with a way to remove the apps in question or with the info I need to root this device. thanks
    10-28-2014 05:43 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which app did you install that you can no longer uninstall? Where did you download it from--Google Play Store? If it was a security app, go to Settings>Security>Device Administrators, see if the app is listed there, and uncheck it if it's checked on. Then try to uninstall it again.
    10-28-2014 06:23 PM
    its called DU battery saver. the 2nd one is DU speed booster. i just cant seem to get rid of them but did not see them when I bought the tablet so I assume that it is something I have downloaded. I came from the google play store. they are causing full screen pop ups with adds for clash of clans and taking me to the google play store without me opening it.
    10-28-2014 06:45 PM
    In Settings>Apps>All, select those apps. Do you see anUninstall button? Did you check the Settings>Security>Device Administrators​ screen?
    10-28-2014 06:58 PM
    I did check the device admins screen the only thing there is android device manager. the apps do not have an uninstall opption I have them disabled but can not ininstall but I am still having the problem with the pop ups.
    10-28-2014 07:03 PM
    If you can only disable them, then they are likely preinstalled apps. Are you certain they're causing the popups, and not something else?

You could try a factory reset to see if it goes away. Obviously, you'd need to backup and sync all of your data first. Also, before the factory reset, go to Settings>Backup & Reset, and uncheck Automatically Restore, so that apps aren't automatically reinstalled upon setting up the device again. If the two DU apps are still there, then they were preinstalled.
    10-28-2014 07:47 PM
    ok did that i guess they are preinstalled so now can and how do i root the device to start over cause i am still getting the pop ups even after more than a dozen resets.
    10-28-2014 08:07 PM
    Does it look like a browser window? Check your browser settings, and see if you can block pop-ups from there.
    10-28-2014 08:40 PM
    i'm tired of messing with it tonight, but thank you.
    10-28-2014 09:27 PM
    The other possibility is that the popups are some sort of malware you picked up. Install an antivirus app (I use Avast Mobile Security & Antivirus, but there are other good free ones) and run that. (Start it before you go to sleep - it can take hours. Then do the same thing with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (which picks up malware that isn't a virus). Again, start it before you go to sleep. (You might also want to do the same thing with Easy Ads Cleaner.) If an app says it finds something and wants to block, remove or quarantine it, let it.
    10-29-2014 01:56 PM
    I'm having the same issue. These are NOT preinstalled apps and have 50 million+ installs off the Play store with 4.8 ratings but I want to remove the DU Booster as I have another app doing the same job. The DU Battery app is nice but it bothers me that it is not removable.
    They showed up after I installed the Dolphin browser and put themselves in as rooted apps.
    I removed the Dolphin browser but they have no remove buttons and Dolphin didn't take them with it on removal.

I have 40 other apps, with their own settings installed, plus Kindle and books, and its ridiculous to do a factory reset at this point so there has to be another option to remove bad apps. I've gotten confirmation from SuperOneClick that device is rooted but the SU command is corrupted and I'm having trouble replacing it.

It's dismaying that otherwise useful and high rated apps developers have resorted to installing themselves as unremovable system apps through underhanded installs. I didn't install them or have them ask permission to be installed as I installed Dolphin.

So what help is there to remove these two apps?
    11-05-2014 12:24 AM
    put themselves in as rooted apps.
    System apps, maybe. You can't "root' an app, you can only root an OS. (Rooting means copying a particular couple of files to the phone. Files that Google chose to leave out of the Linux kernel.)

I removed the Dolphin browser but they have no remove buttons and Dolphin didn't take them with it on removal.
    Assuming (from below) that the phone is rooted, find the app (with a file manager) and delete it. Then find its data folder and delete that. Then clear system cache.

I've gotten confirmation from SuperOneClick that device is rooted but the SU command is corrupted and I'm having trouble replacing it.
    If your kernel is earlier than June 2014, install SuperSU if you're running a different superuser app, completely unroot the phone, then use Towel Root to root it.
    11-06-2014 01:43 PM
    I also have the same problem with my tablet. I have installed Malwarebytes and an antivirus programme but some of the apps none of these programmes can remove. I also tried to reset the factory settings more than once.
    01-14-2016 05:46 AM
    hi i am having great trouble with this android tablet, i am having similar problems where upon i have DU apps on it, there are several adult themed apps that are on here, playstore is opening and games auto downloading, i have done factory reset over and over i have tried all the things you have mentioned but they keep comming back, this is a little girls tablet and she's only had it since christmas. what can i do? have downloaded avast but it found nothing, will do it again and malware too but i think i will be in the same mess afterwards
    01-23-2016 04:04 PM