HI - newbie asking probably a dumb question!

I have seen a free app for android that I want to download, customise and then resell to my hobby group.

I don't want to have to go to the major apps stores to sell it, so I have two questions -
    1: What format are apps in? I sell pdfs from my website and am used to moving them around on a memory stick - can I do that with an app?

2: And is it possible to then sell it from a website, sending it from my own computer like any other file?

I want to create a database (un-editable template, but that customers can enter their own data) - possibly using Memento. I'd like to make it available for android and apple - is that possible? I'd be very grateful of any comments and ideas.

Many thanks for your help
    10-29-2014 01:02 AM
    HI - newbie asking probably a dumb question!

I have seen a free app for android that I want to download, customise and then resell to my hobby group.

I don't want to have to go to the major apps stores to sell it, so I have two questions -
    1: What format are apps in? I sell pdfs from my website and am used to moving them around on a memory stick - can I do that with an app?

2: And is it possible to then sell it from a website, sending it from my own computer like any other file?

I want to create a database (un-editable template, but that customers can enter their own data) - possibly using Memento. I'd like to make it available for android and apple - is that possible? I'd be very grateful of any comments and ideas.

Many thanks for your help
    Well, yes you can do that you can sell your Android app over the your own website.

Ans: apps are in .apk format, and I don't think you can move the apps to memory stick !

Ans: Yes .apk file of your app can be sell over the website by sending it from your computer.
    10-29-2014 02:39 AM
    They're in .apk files, which are just .zip files with a renamed extension, so you can handle them like any other file.

Possible? Of course. Legal? Well, that depends on whether you wrote it, or you want to sell something that someone else wrote. In that case, if you don't have the author's written permission to sell it, you're violating his copyright, and if he sues you he'll win.

I want to create a database (un-editable template, but that customers can enter their own data) - possibly using Memento.
    You can sell the database you created with Memento - you can't sell Memento (without permission)

I'd like to make it available for android and apple - is that possible?
    Memento is written for Android. A database, if it's in a format that a SQLite database handler can handle, can be used in either Android or iPhone. (There's a difference between a database, which is a file of data, and a database app, which is an app that handles the database. Memento is a database app, what you want to write is a database. There's no "template" - any user can alter any database any way they choose if they use the right app. If you want something your users can enter data into, but can't change the format, you're going to have to write an app to work like that - and you're going to have to write it twice, once in Java for Android and once in Objective C for iOS.)
    10-29-2014 01:49 PM