I was strongly thinking of getting an Asus ZenPhone 6 in the 2 GB/16 GB configuration. Or possibly a ZenPhone 5 as I am not 100% sure about which size suits me best.

I have some concerns about rooting and ROMs, etc. I am moving from an iPhone, and am really interested in hacking and fiddling with Android. Hardware-wise, the above Zen Phone is that exact spec I would like, but I am not sure about the software. (I would like LTE and NFC as well, but am on a budget.)

Incidentally, I am in Canada in case there are any carrier issues.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
    10-29-2014 11:50 AM
    the above Zen Phone is that exact spec I would like
    2GB isn't much storage these days, but that's abut my only concern with the phone's specs.

Incidentally, I am in Canada in case there are any carrier issues.
    Check which carrier gives you the best coverage in the places you need coverage. (Not by looking at their maps - at best they're approximate, at worst they're fake) but by checking with people standing where you'll need service, who are getting service, and asking which carrier they're on. (Sprint is great in this town - except at my daughter's house, where they have exactly zero signal - so they're useless to me.)

If you just want to hack the underlying operating system though, it's Linux, so just download a Linux distro and hack away for free.
    10-29-2014 01:11 PM