Why isn't my S5 connecting to the internet even if it's connected to the wifi?

JSerrano77

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
s5 wifi issues

my s5 wifi recently started acting up. it connects to my wifi network but still doesn't allow me to go on the Internet. I've tried changing the ip settings to static but it won't let me save it without changing other options. anyone have a result for this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: s5 wifi issues

1) Unless you know the IP address range (and DHCP range) for the router, don't use a static IP address. It's one of the easiest ways to not get a connection.

2) Does this happen only on your home router, or on every wifi connection you try (like McDonalds and Starbucks)?

If it's only on your home wifi, I'd suspect a setup problem in the router. If it's on all wifi connections, I'd suspect corrupt firmware in the phone (which your carrier should be able to help you with).

But put it back to DHCP, not static IP.

JSerrano77

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

At Rukbak thanks for the response. As far as I know so far only when I'm home, haven't tried any where else. But my lap top connects just fine. Sprint updated my firmware and Verizon reset my router and still doesn't work. Wifi shows connected bit nothing happens. I turn it off and Internet works fine.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

You're getting a "limited connection" for some reason (and there are several things that can cause it. almost all having to do with the router). I'd see it Verizon will escalate this to level 2 tech support. (It could be something as simple as a limited number of DHCP slots, and there's none left for the phone.)

JSerrano77

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the information. The girl I spoke to today did sound like she didn't know what she was doing. I just don't understand why all of a sudden it started doing this.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The girl I spoke to today did sound like she didn't know what she was doing.
The difference between the knowledge needed for a job as level 1 tech support and cashier in a supermarket is that the cashier usually has to know more. Level 2 tech support usually has at least some technical knowledge. (People who have knowledge want to get paid more, and carriers want to pay as little as possible.)