Whats the difference between Google+ Uploads and Google+ Photos?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Whats the difference between Google+ Uploads and Google+ Photos

Under Settings< accounts Google< Sync. I've been looking around and cant seem to find a solid answer on what the difference is between Google+ Uploads and Google+ Photos. DO they do that same thing? I want to have my photos backed up to Picsa Cloud storage, but don't want my photos on Google+. What will happen if i disable Google+ Uploads? Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Whats the difference between Google+ Uploads and Google+ Photos

I think Picasa and Google+ are the same storage... At least when I back up my photos to Google+,they show up as Picasa albums in my Gallery.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

as far as i can tell my pics are still being uploaded to picsa (Google photos). Just looking to find out what the difference is between google+ uploads vs google+ photos.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Same thing, just different places to access them. I know, I hate how Google is doing that these days, having multiple apps that do the same or just multiple apps that could be bundled together in one, but yeah, Google Photos backup, for instance, will do so to your Google+ account. It's not different, it's the same thing.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Google+ Photos allows your cloud Google+ Photo albums to sync with the Photos app (the one with the pinwheel icon).

I think Google+ Uploads needs to be turned on in order for your Google+ Auto-Backup to work. Either that, or it makes sure any photo you sent via Hangouts (which actually gets uploaded to your Google+ Photos as well) gets synced with the Photos app.

Picasa syncs your Google+ Photo albums to your stock Gallery app. On some devices, this may actually be listed as "Gallery" or "Google Photos" (not to be confused with "Google+ Photos").

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

So I unchecked google+ uploads and my photos would not back up to picasa. So I then decided to uncheck google+ photos and recheck uploads and they backed up as normal. Still confused. I just want to know where things are going. I'm not into social media and don't want my photos on web sites like Google+

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

What you did confirms what I was describing above. Checking Google+ Uploads is necessary for Google+ Auto Backup to work, so when you unchecked it, your photos stopped backing up automatically.

Backing your photos up to your Google+ Photos isn't exactly posting it on social media. The Auto Backup function makes the photos for your eyes only. You can choose to share them with others if you wish, or keep them completely private. It's really no different saving your photos to Google+ than it is to some place like DropBox. The photos are still backed up to the cloud, and as such are always at some small risk of compromise, because no cloud service can guarantee 100% security.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vignajeanniegolabek