Where does the rom manager put downloads?

JamesJoey

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
Installing a New ROM on My Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

I'm new to rooting and have never installed a new ROM on a device.
I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.
I rooted it a couple months ago
Yesterday I installed ROM Manager and have some questions before I
install a new ROM.
I went into Download ROM and ROM Manager downloaded something but I
have no idea where ROM Manager downloaded it to. I have no SD Card at
the moment so it's not on external storage.

Where does ROM Manager put downloads??

Also, when I tap 'Download ROM' I'm presented with a list of things that
don't appear to be ROMs. I get things like: JRummy Apps, CyanogenMod, Cerberus and so on.
But none of these gives me any indication that they're are ROMs.

Hoping someone can straighten me out on that.

So far I've done a recovery setup which is ClockworkMod 6.0.2.3.
Yesterday I went into something in ROM Manager where I selected my device but for
the life of me I can't find this now.
I did select Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113.

So far, is all I need to do prior to installing a new ROM?

Any help will be appreciated.,
James

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Installing a New ROM on My Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

Welcome to the forums.
The best thing to do would be to reboot into recovery and make a Nandroid Backup of everything you have.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

How to make a Nandroid: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...00292-guide-how-use-your-custom-recovery.html

Then I would forget about ROM Manager for your downloads. I would search the net for ROM downloads on your PC and go from there. You can even search by model number. (This can be found in Settings>about Device)

Once you have found the ROM you would like, double, even triple check to make sure it is for your device, and then reboot into recovery and flash there.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...-how-flash-custom-recovery-clockwork-mod.html

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Read the documentation for the ROM. Where you put it and how you flash it depend on the phone and on the ROM developer.

One other thing you have to know: What is the ROM you're going to flash going to give you that you don't currently have - and is it going to take away something you need? (A series of ROMs was really nice, except that they didn't implement the GPS - which I use almost every day - so however many nice features they would have gven me, they were useless to me.)

JamesJoey

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site

I was hope I would have more control over which programs start at startup and which ones runs automatically.
Most of all, I'm just plain curious. I want to see how much of a difference there is between the stock ROM and a new ROM.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I was hope I would have more control over which programs start at startup and which ones runs automatically.
Most of all, I'm just plain curious. I want to see how much of a difference there is between the stock ROM and a new ROM.
Depends on the ROM. You can stay on a Samsung type ROM (Touchwiz) or you can go AOSP.

Sent from an AOSP M8

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

There are very good apps to do those things - no need for a new ROM.

Is your curiosity worth a) voiding the warranty and b) risking turning the tab into a box of non-working electronic parts? If so, go for it.

JamesJoey

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site

I do have an app called Task KIller that seems to be doing the job.
I tried a "startup manager" but some apps started anyway after the device starts

There are very good apps to do those things - no need for a new ROM.
Is your curiosity worth a) voiding the warranty and b) risking turning the tab into a box of non-working electronic parts? If so, go for it.

Since the device is rooted, doesn't that void the warranty?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I do have an app called Task KIller that seems to be doing the job.
I tried a "startup manager" but some apps started anyway after the device starts

Since the device is rooted, doesn't that void the warranty?
The warranty has provably lapsed anyway due to the potential age of the device.

Sent from an AOSP M8

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I do have an app called Task KIller
That's a great idea for Windows - keep memory as empty as possible, so Windows runs faster. On Android, keeping memory empty makes it run slower and use more battery. (The people who started writing task killer apps did so before Android had a good memory manager. Today those apps just ruin Android's memory management. The reason apps will even restart right after you kill them (let alone start when you tell an app not to let them start at boot) is that Android needs them running. So all that happens is that they run, the app kills them and Android reruns them. It knows what it needs running - task killer apps don't.

Last edited:

JamesJoey

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site

I wasn't aware of that. Great, I won't be so concerned about that now.
One more question if you don't mind.
I been neglecting not to update apps I don't use.
Is this a good or bad idea?
Or does it make a difference?

James

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Well ... today I ran the updated version of Maps and notice a few problems, so I removed the update. Sometimes "update" and "screw-up" mean the same thing.

I have Play Store set to not auto-update apps and I have each app set to not auto-update. If I read about an update I like, I'll go to the Play Store and update the app. (I still have backups of apps from Eclair - Android version 2.) I don't even update Android the minute the update comes out - I wait to see how many "it bricked my phone" complaints there are - maybe for a few months. (I've written too much software over the decades to argue with the old saw, "any code over 10 lines long has a bug". I used to say that I didn't get paid to write software - I wrote bugs, then got paid to fix them. Anyone who claims to write bug-free code is either a liar, a fool or someone who's never written code. Even Windows XP still has bugs.)

So should you update everything as soon as an update comes out? I never would. Even for a trivial app, I'll back up the older version first, before I update it. Just in case. Granted, some apps have a lot of features that older versions didn't. But a lot of apps have "features" that should have been left the way they were. I let other people beta test the "public release" before I update to it.

JamesJoey

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site

Ok.
I also, never set Play Store to auto update.

I want to thank everyone for their assistance here.
James