How can I recover my password on my Galaxy S5?

Capt Foxer

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I have forgotten the alternative password to my Galaxy S5

Usually I keep my phone charged every time it reaches around 1-2% battery life. Recently however, I had forgotten to charge it, and my phone had been powered down for about 2 days, once It was charged I powered it up, and entered my PIN, but after entering it I need to enter my alternative password to access my phone, which I do not remember. Is there any way to re-access my phone that would hopefully not require a factory reset.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: I have forgotten the alternative password to my Galaxy S5

Usually I keep my phone charged every time it reaches around 1-2% battery life.
Smash the battery with a hammer - it's a more merciful way of killing it. Lithium batteries should be charged at 40%-60% charge. Always bring it down to 1%-2% will give you a battery life of less than a year. (And if you goof and bring it down to 0%, the battery is just toxic waste - it can't be charged again.)

Recently however, I had forgotten to charge it, and my phone had been powered down for about 2 days, once It was charged I powered it up, and entered my PIN, but after entering it I need to enter my alternative password to access my phone, which I do not remember. Is there any way to re-access my phone that would hopefully not require a factory reset.
Try your carrier - thy can probably help you.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: I have forgotten the alternative password to my Galaxy S5

I agree, going forward the OP should try to not let the battery get nearly empty and charge it sooner for the most life, but...

(And if you goof and bring it down to 0%, the battery is just toxic waste - it can't be charged again.)
A) Lithium based batteries have internal circuitry to cut all power to prevent over discharging them. Taking it down to cutoff (0% on most meters, despite technically still having a charge) isn't going to immediately kill the battery permanently, but true it isn't advisable and will shorten the lifespan. If you do allow it to somehow get below the cutoff, like discharging to zero and letting it sit a long time, then yes it won't accept a charge again (unless you have a special charger, but even that isn't a sure bet). B ) Lithium batteries aren't toxic waste. You should recycle if you can, but tossing one into the trash isn't going to harm anything. Not sure if that was sarcasm, so clearing it up just in case.

Try your carrier - thy can probably help you.

That may help. I've never had a phone that used an "alternative password," so I personally can't offer much help. If the OP will post his phone model, someone else may have better info.