Hi,

WiFi on this tablet has been working fine for almost a year and just stopped the other day.

Symptoms are:
    a long delay whilst "obtaining IP address" and then the error message "avoided poor internet connection".

I have done some research and see other people who have suffered the same problem. I have also tried some of the workarounds (given that people believe this is a DHCP problem with the tablet):

On my home router I reserved a static IP for my Tablet MAC Address and then configured that IP Address on the Tablet for my home Wifi Network and it connects and works fine. So to me this enforces the theory that there is a problem with the DHCP process on the tablet.

I see other people have suggested clearing out the DHCP settings in the following directory:
    data/misc/dhcp

......problem is I cant find that directory on my tablet.

Just by the way I did raise a Tech Support Case with Asus and they were pretty useless, all they said to me was to conduct some basic tests like switching on and off Wifi etc, they obviously didn't read my support request where I told them I tried all those things already. They then said I need to book it in but everything will be wiped as the next step is to restore it to factory defaults. I just cannot afford to do this right now as I have some apps and passwords etc on their that I can't get rid of right now. I also asked Asus where the DHCP settings are held on this tablet so I can try clearing them but they would not help me.

Any help would be appreciated here...

Thanks!
    11-11-2014 06:21 AM
    Hi there,

I have the exact same problem...
    11-17-2014 06:52 AM
    The quickest way to solve this is to go to your device "Settings" and turn off "wifi." Wait 30 seconds. Turn it back on and most devices will quickly connect. A simple fix, but it took me a long time to figure it out. Good luck!
    11-17-2014 04:30 PM
    I have the exact same problem. I have tried to reset the wireless. That worked for all other electronics, not the ASUS tablet.
    I tried to change the DNS IP address (as many other forums have said works). That worked for one day. JUST ONE DAY.

Just now I saved my info and did a factory reset, and it connected to the internet just fine (so far).
    My OS is 4.2

if anyone has an intenigent idea on this issue, please post it. The tablet worked for a year no issues, then one day this happened. Same issue. maybe this will be an ongoing issue and more people will have the same problem very soon. this is a popular tablet.
    12-02-2014 11:15 PM
    I tried to change the DNS IP address (as many other forums have said works). That worked for one day. JUST ONE DAY.
    DNS is only used when you type in a human-readable address, to get the numeric address (which is what's actually used on the internet). It has nothing to do with staying connected.

Go to Settings/Connections.Wifi. Press the menu. Go to Advanced. Go to Auto network switch. Turn it off.
    12-03-2014 05:37 PM
    That doesn't work.
    We need a solution other then HardReset-

Thanx
    12-10-2014 06:01 AM
    Does this problem happen on all wi-fi networks, or only your home network?
    12-11-2014 01:03 AM
    Does this problem happen on all wi-fi networks, or only your home network?
    Check you.

You're all over these threads today.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-11-2014 01:10 AM
    Check you.

You're all over these threads today.

Posted via the Android Central App
    I'm often all over AC, if I have the time.
    12-11-2014 01:38 AM
    Hi,

I am also having the exact same problem. It started 3 days ago after having the tablet for over a year. I have tried turning off wifi and waiting 30 secs but this has not chaged anything. Anyone got any other ideas?
    12-12-2014 05:11 AM
    By the way, this does happen on all wifi networks. Have tried it at other places over last couple of days.
    12-12-2014 05:13 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Review this guide and see if the tips help: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-problems.html
    12-12-2014 10:25 AM
    Go to Settings/Connections.Wifi. Press the menu. Go to Advanced. Go to Auto network switch. Turn it off.

Great. Worked for me.
    12-25-2014 09:36 AM
    Well I took a half hour to make a post about how to fix this problem without preforming a factory reset that would lose your files, and since I don't have 10 posts it was not posted and is now lost.

I had the same problem and couldn't find a solution sans a factory reset so I rooted my ME173X, found the corrupt file myself and renamed it.

So here is a dirty how to:
    -use framaroot apk to root your ME173X using the Boromir method.
    -get a root file manager.
    -using a root file manager navigate to /data/misc/dhcp/
    -rename dhcpcd-wlan0.lease to dhcpcd-wlan0.lease.old

My last try was much more complete, but I'm not willing to retype the whole thing again. Hope this helps someone.
    03-12-2015 04:33 PM