Why is my new Note 4 having RAM problems?

nikvik1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Why is my new Note 4 having RAM problems

Hi,

I m new to android phones as I have had an iPhone 4 previously and decided to change.
I have just purchased a Galaxy note 4 a few weeks ago and I bought this phone because on paper it seems to be super fast with 3GB of RAM. However, when I come to play some simple games on the phone I keep getting the Game Boost message telling me that I only have 11% of Available RAM and the game starts lagging.
I am not running loads of stuff at once just playing single games.
I downloaded clean master to try to combat this issue but I am using it all the time. Surly this is not normal right?

Also is there any app killers or anti virus apps that I should have on the phone? I am not used to the android system so any help would be grateful for this newbie.

Thanks

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Why is my new Note 4 having RAM problems

RAM usage on Android phones works different than most everything else. It's actually a good thing to have RAM full and memory boosters hurt performance overall on current devices. This article lays it out pretty well.

http://m.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

I'd suggest uninstalling things like Clean Master that manipulate n RAM (or deactivate that function if the app also has other abilities you want) and see what happens. If the phone still lags, it's most likely a rogue app eating up resources, either RAM or using too much CPU in the background. You'd be better served fixing that problem than using a memory booster to essentially put a bandaid on it at the expense of more battery use.

One other possibility is maybe phone has a power saving/performance mode function built in that's defaulted to saving power and limits the processor. I'm not familiar with the Note 4, but my M8 does (even though it still doesn't lag on the lesser mode).

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

The Note 4 DOES have power saving, and it DOES cut the performance quite a bit (run Antutu with and without power saving and you'll see).

And, as Mooncatt said, NEVER run a RAM management app in Android - you're trying to push both ends of a see-saw down at the same time. The app works to counter what Android is doing, and Android is trying to counter what the app is doing. And that's eating up resources that can be used by the game.

nikvik1

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the advice and also the article. I will remove the clean master app and let the phone handle the RAM. I have also found out the error message was coming from that app, not the phone.

Thanks again its a learning curve for me at the moment. Any advice is a great help :)