Android phone as mini-tablet?

adamnmurad

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I kinda have to use a BlackBerry as my primary phone for work. However, every time I've played with an Android phone I've walked away impressed and I really do want in on that OS's action. I'd actually prefer a tablet (along the lines of the Archos 101), but it looks like Android tablets are a bit away from being a mature, got the bugs out product. So, I'm considering buying an Android smartphone on eBay and just using it over wi-fi as a mini-tablet/PDA/iPod Touch. I have two questions:

1) Will this actually work, or will the thing be completely useless as a wi-fi only device? How stupid of an idea is this?
2) If I do end up loving the Android, how easy is it to upgrade/switch between Android devices as far as transferring all data and settings? Blackberry makes this super-easy with its desktop software - just back the old phone up onto your computer, and restore that file onto your new phone. Does Android offer anything similar between Android devices? It would be awesome if this functionality was so extensive I'd be able to switch from the smartphone to a larger Android tablet when that market matures.

Thanks!

P.S. The two devices that have caught my eye are the T-Mobile G2 and Sony X10 if you wanna weigh in on that too.

kinster02

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
1- Yes it should work.

2- Very easy as long as you have a Google account using Google mail, calendar, etc. Settings is always a manual affair unless your using some app for that.

htc has syncing software which you download from their site...I can't speak for the other manufactures.

Once you purchase apps they are yours to transfer from old phone to new.

I say stay away from the Sony because they are way behind as far as upgrading there phones to the lastest OS...I think there at 1.6.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'd also look at the Viewsonic 10" tablet Jerry reviewed last week - the Out of the Box experience is garbage, but there are at least 3 ROM's that can be flashed onto it that make it better.

For $400 it seems like a decent deal.

adamnmurad

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
2- Very easy as long as you have a Google account using Google mail, calendar, etc. Settings is always a manual affair unless your using some app for that.

Thank you all! As to the backup/restore question, what about things like text messages, photos taken on the phone, wallpapers, call history, etc.? Blackberry makes it very easy, such that when I get a new phone, it's just like having new hardware, but picking up where I left off in regards to everything else. Just wondering if Android has a similar utility, even if it's third-party.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae