So I picked up my Droid Turbo on Monday, and it's my first Android phone ever. Previously, I owned a Nokia Lumia 928 and an HTC Trophy before that. I'm not new to smartphones, just this particular atmosphere. As such, I have some minor questions I'd like to ask.

1. The Recent Apps Button: Do the apps in there drain battery or memory by being in the background like that? I find myself habitually swiping away at this screen to close all the apps that I'm not using. Don't know if this is in vain or not.

2. What's a good text app? I have the "Message" and Verizon "Message+" apps that came preinstalled with the phone, but I find the UI on both to be a little unappealing. Are there any good alternatives?

3. What's a good internet browser app? Chrome is mostly fine, but the problem I have is that I'll check off "Request desktop site," but it unchecks all the time. Same with Firefox. Is there any good browser that doesn't have this issue?

4. What's a good music-playing app? Again, the proprietary app is mostly fine, but I don't like having to make the short trip to "Albums" every time I start it. I'd like to go there as soon as the app opens, without any hassle.

5. How do I customize the quick settings? I know the notification center has that convenient quick settings button, but are the settings inside of it set in stone? Because I'd really like to put auto screen rotate in there, as I change that frequently, particularly because the screen rotates at wrong times, it seems.

6. Change the Search settings? I use Bing primarily, and while I know Android is a Google OS, I was wondering if I could change the search bar at the top of the main screen.

7. How customizable is it? From what I've heard, Android is a very customizable OS, and I was wondering how much can be done, and how. This is a pretty broad question, so I apologize.

Thanks, and gratitude to those who help me out!
    11-13-2014 09:26 PM
    Welcome to the forums. I would look this over: http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...id-2014-a.html

1. The Recent Apps Button: Do the apps in there drain battery or memory by being in the background like that?
    They do not drain battery. For more info: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...m-android.html

2. What's a good text app?
    A lot of people like Chomp SMS and Textra.

3. What's a good internet browser app?
    I like Chrome, but you are right, it would be nice if they fixed the request desktop site.

4. What's a good music-playing app?
    PowerAmp...the one by which all others are judged. A paid app, only $4. Best $4 I ever spent and they have a free trial for a week or two, so you aren't committing anything right off the bat, either.

6. Change the Search settings?
    You can change it in Chrome to Bing, but I am not sure if this affects the Search app.

7. How customizable is it?
    Check out Launchers:
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...ml#post4015086

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-launcher.html
    Symthic and B. Diddy like this.
    11-13-2014 09:36 PM
    You can change it in Chrome to Bing, but I am not sure if this affects the Search app.
    A work-around to that would be to use a custom launcher like Nova (as you suggested) that allows you to remove the search bar. Install the Bing app and add its widget in place of the Google search bar.
    Golfdriver97 and B. Diddy like this.
    11-14-2014 09:39 AM
    1. The Recent Apps Button: Do the apps in there drain battery or memory by being in the background like that?
    It doesn't use anything except a little bit oof storage to store the list of recently used apps. Someof them may still be in memoy, some may not - that's up to the Android memory manager. Swiping them away just makes the list shorter.

3. What's a good internet browser app? Chrome is mostly fine, but the problem I have is that I'll check off "Request desktop site," but it unchecks all the time. Same with Firefox. Is there any good browser that doesn't have this issue?
    Dolphin will hold the Desktop setting, but it (last time I looked) claimed to be Safari 5 (that's how phone browsers get desktop sites - by claiming to be desktop browsers). Some sites require at least 5.5 to work.

5. How do I customize the quick settings? I know the notification center has that convenient quick settings button, but are the settings inside of it set in stone?
    No, they're set in a few records in a database file. If you're comfortable with SQL you can add a couple of functions. The function has to exist as a quick setting function, though - the flashlight does, the autorotation setting doesn't.

7. How customizable is it? From what I've heard, Android is a very customizable OS, and I was wondering how much can be done, and how. This is a pretty broad question, so I apologize.
    It's Linux, so if you want to root the phone you can do a lot. You can also flash different ROMS on most phones (which would be like installing different operating systems on a desktop).

If you don't want to get into anything that deep (and HTC is the one manufacturer that doesn't automatically void the warranty if you root or flash a ROM), just change the launcher, wallpaper, theme (icons), etc. For exampe, at the moment my homescreens and lockscreen have a couple of turkeys on them. (Pumpkin theme for Halloween and an Android Christmas tree as soon as Thanksgiving is over.)

About the only thing I haven't seen anyone do yet (and I wish someone would or I might be forced to get off the forum and actually write code) is to make a complete vanilla Linux ROM for at least one Android phone. It can be done. That's how customizable an Android phone is.
    B. Diddy and Symthic like this.
    11-15-2014 01:25 AM