I notice that some apps automatically create folders when I install the apps. And when I uninstall the app, the folder does not gets deleted away. I need to go to My Files>All Files to delete the folder myself, and I do not always remember or know if there is any folder created and it causes leftover folders of the uninstalled app that are not needed.

Q1. When uninstalling an app, is there a way to hint me that there are folders that are created by the app so I know I can delete it.

Q2. Is there a way to know what folder is created by what app?

Q3. My Files>All Files folder has this folder "thritf_message.cache" and "wdh_update". What are they? I think I do not have them when I first bought the phone.

Thanks
    11-16-2014 08:30 PM
    I think you might need to root your phone to be able to delete those folders.
    11-17-2014 02:37 AM
    Apps like Clean master or Ccleaner can delete those files. If you have ES File Explorer in your phone when uninstalling and app it will tell you about files being left behind deleting them.
    acsurfer likes this.
    11-17-2014 03:17 AM
    Hii.

You can't get to run code when your app is uninstalled, so you have to allow the OS to do the clean up for you. This means you can't place the files just anywhere on the SD card, but must follow the rules of the OS.

So rather than create your own directory structure on the SD card, you have to place the files you write in the directories returned by calls to getExternalFilesDir() and getExternalCacheDir(). Android then automatically deletes any contents of these directories when it does the uninstall.

Thanks
    Carl Johnson
    11-17-2014 04:43 AM
    Apps like Clean master or Ccleaner can delete those files. If you have ES File Explorer in your phone when uninstalling and app it will tell you about files being left behind deleting them.
    If you have ES File Explorer, do you have to do anything with its settings or when uninstalling an app to get it to advise what folders/files are left? Or do you just go to apps, uninstall, and then ES File Explorer will automatically advise if there is anything left behind? If it's a file (or files) and not just an empty folder, how can I be sure it's not essential to something else?

Another thought---I have an app (don't remember the name) on my Jelly Bean tablet that serves as a trash can for things I delete. That way I can wait a while to see if there are any repercussions from deleting something and let it be completely deleted later (like the "trash" folder in an email program). Therefore, if I used something like that, presumably I could always restore it if I had troubles after deleting a file/folder?
    acsurfer likes this.
    11-17-2014 01:46 PM
    There's really no way of knowing which apps create folders, and to automatically delete the folders upon deleting the app (that I know of). What I do is a little house cleaning every once in a while to clear unwanted stuff from the SD card, including folders that are no longer necessary.
    11-17-2014 01:49 PM
    If you have ES File Explorer, do you have to do anything with its settings or when uninstalling an app to get it to advise what folders/files are left? Or do you just go to apps, uninstall, and then ES File Explorer will automatically advise if there is anything left behind?
    I think that option is on by default. Just in case check it out in settings - app. It's called "clean associated folders after uninstall", or something like that.

When you uninstall an app and there are some residual files left behind ES File will tell you and you'll see a pop up to confirm delete.
    radicchio and acsurfer like this.
    11-17-2014 02:32 PM
    Thanks, Javier. Good to know.
    Javier P likes this.
    11-17-2014 06:30 PM