When texting just one person, sending and receiving messages is almost instantaneous, but when I try to group message my friends, but my S5 receives/loads the messages 1+ minutes after I was supposed to receive them. This makes it hard to keep up a conversation with them. Also, my S5 will get very warm when in a group chat.
    I've tried to restart my phone multiple times, deleting old messages and deleting old chats, but I still get lagged messages while all my friends get them quite quickly.

Is this a common problem? How can I fix it?
    11-19-2014 06:01 PM
    You're trying to use group texting as a chat app, and it's not really meant for that. With group texting, the phone does all the work, with chatting the server does all the work. Try to get your friends to switch to a chat app of some sort. (IRC is the old standby, and there a lot of good free IRC apps for Android, iPhone, Linux, Mac and Windows, so everyone can be in on the same conversation with anything smarter than a toaster [so far]. The phone does almost no work, so it stays cool and, unless there's a lot of traffic [read: Christmas day, when everyone got a new computer], the "lag" is in milliseconds. Two seconds of lag is considered awful, and the server operators scramble to fix the problem. A whole minute? That's hair-pulled-out time. We had that sort of thing when MCI lost the main East-West link back in the 90s.)

Oh, and the maximum number of people that can be in a group chat on IRC? I've seen 300 or so, but it takes a bit of experience to keep your sanity with more than 10 or 20 people. One problem, though - if you think crack is addicting, you ain't seen 'nothin yet. With hundreds of networks, many of them with thousands of channels, there's no subject that there aren't a few people talking about any time of day, any day of the year. Even Android.
    Because group texting uses MMS which means it activates & uses your data connection.

Try an alternative sms app like hello, textra or hangout? If the problem persist, your best bet is to switch to a group text app like whatsapp/hangout/fb messenger etc.

Also if you are trying to send MMS in low signal areas, all phones will get warm.
    11-23-2014 12:20 PM
    You're trying to use group texting as a chat app, and it's not really meant for that. With group texting, the phone does all the work, with chatting the server does all the work. Try to get your friends to switch to a chat app of some sort. (IRC is the old standby, and there a lot of good free IRC apps for Android, iPhone, Linux, Mac and Windows, so everyone can be in on the same conversation with anything smarter than a toaster [so far]. The phone does almost no work, so it stays cool and, unless there's a lot of traffic [read: Christmas day, when everyone got a new computer], the "lag" is in milliseconds. Two seconds of lag is considered awful, and the server operators scramble to fix the problem. A whole minute? That's hair-pulled-out time. We had that sort of thing when MCI lost the main East-West link back in the 90s.)

Oh, and the maximum number of people that can be in a group chat on IRC? I've seen 300 or so, but it takes a bit of experience to keep your sanity with more than 10 or 20 people. One problem, though - if you think crack is addicting, you ain't seen 'nothin yet. With hundreds of networks, many of them with thousands of channels, there's no subject that there aren't a few people talking about any time of day, any day of the year. Even Android.
    11-23-2014 10:25 PM