Tab S Upgrading Size of extSdCard (how to transfer data and files to new SD)

willybug

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a new larger exSdCard (original is 32GB and new is 64GB). I am trying to figure out how to transfer the data and files from the original SD to the new SD.

Is there an application I can use on my PC that will simply do a disk copy from original to new? Is there a way I can move all the data from the original SD while still installed in the Tab S to a new SD (maybe through an OTG cable and to a card reader)?

I want to be able to insert the new SD card in my Tab S and when launching my apps they will find all the files (and some apps) on the new SD (same as with the original SD).

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Update:

I made a directory on my PC "Android exSdCard". I then connected my Tab S via USB to the PC and on the PC navigated to the exSdCardd on the Tab S. I could not simply copy the card but I could copy all the sub folders on the card to my PC.

When my new larger SD card arrives I will insert it in my Tab S and copy these sub folders back to the new SD card. Maybe it's just that simple (we will see).

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
That's it. Copy the files to another source, the install the new card and transfer the files to it. Let us know how it goes.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you have a Windows computer, you can put both cards in card readers (they're about $3 esach these days), and use diskcopy (from a cmd prompt) to copy from one to the other, or use ddfau to read the used portion of the old card and write it to the new one. If you have a Linux computer, just use dd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith