This happened on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 and now on my Note 3.

At home, my wifi signal is excellent (full bars). However, my standard Sprint cell reception is terrible (maybe 1 bar). The wifi performance appears to be dependent on regular cell reception (not referring to 3g/4g but call reception).
    So if I have 1 bar of regular service, the wifi is essentially unusable, but if I have 2-3 bars, it gets much better.
    The wifi performance is amazing when I put my phone in airplane mode with ONLY wifi on. I tried googling around and didn't find a solution.
    11-22-2014 06:22 PM
    This happened on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 and now on my Note 3.

At home, my wifi signal is excellent (full bars). However, my standard Sprint cell reception is terrible (maybe 1 bar). The wifi performance appears to be dependent on regular cell reception (not referring to 3g/4g but call reception).
    So if I have 1 bar of regular service, the wifi is essentially unusable, but if I have 2-3 bars, it gets much better.
    The wifi performance is amazing when I put my phone in airplane mode with ONLY wifi on. I tried googling around and didn't find a solution.
    WiFi should not be affected by your mobile/data signal. Try resetting the router and see if that helps. Otherwise, there could be an app or service interfering with the radio (which I don't find likely), so you can try to factory reset and see if that fixes the problem.
    dancing-bass likes this.
    11-22-2014 09:53 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I actually meant to say Note 4, not 3. Since the phone is only a few days old, I'm not sure that a factory reset would help. Along those same lines, I havent installed many apps so I'm hesitant to suspect this is an app-related issue. I will reset the router though.
    11-22-2014 10:42 PM
    I'm guessing, based on past experience, that when you have both mobile data and wifi on, your phone is using mobile data and ignoring wifi. (Your carrier can't charge you for wifi.) They call it smart - I call it cheating the customer.
    11-23-2014 11:13 PM
    That makes some sense. However, I have unlimited data so it also doesn't make sense.
    11-24-2014 02:39 PM
    How old is your router? How many devices are connected to it?

I recently had to replace my router. I seemed to get great connection with my laptop, but guests had trouble with slow connection on their smartphones. I just assumed it was their phones. Since getting a new router, friends and family have no problems using my wifi when visiting.
    11-24-2014 04:58 PM