I just bought a new android phone and the AVG-antivirus app already found a threat (nothing installed on it but the AVG app). The threat was called SMSreg and it cannot remove the virus (apparently it's a harmful virus according to the AVG website). I looked at my apps list and apparently SMSreg is preinstalled into the system. Should it be considered as safe? How do I remove it?
    11-23-2014 05:13 PM
    I just bought a new android phone and the AVG-antivirus app already found a threat (nothing installed on it but the AVG app). The threat was called SMSreg and it cannot remove the virus (apparently it's a harmful virus according to the AVG website). I looked at my apps list and apparently SMSreg is preinstalled into the system. Should it be considered as safe? How do I remove it?
    install and scan -

Lookout

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....lookout&hl=en
    11-23-2014 05:30 PM
    If it's preinstalled on the phone, it may be in the system and you cannot remove without root. But if it's an app, you might be able to disable it through settings-applications. You'll get the usual warning that disabling a built in app may cause your phone to malfunction, but that's rare and you can always re-enable it. Once it's disabled, your AVG can be told to ignore it.

As to whether this feature really is malware or something your carrier wants there, that's a subject of some debate.
    11-23-2014 05:30 PM
    This is in fact a virus..
    You might need AVG pro or another antivirus if AVG can't remove it..

Go to the below url to remove this virus..

Lookout is the best there is..

http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/virus-a...ndroid-smsreg/
    11-23-2014 05:34 PM
    So I found it was apart of the system settings and I disabled it. I'm still not sure if it is a virus though, it seems pretty suspicious being that it is known to be a virus. I just scanned with Avast, Malwarebytes, and Lookout Mobile Security, and all three did not find a virus, but AVG did. I honestly don't know if I should call SMSreg a virus. It's embedded into the systems settings and 3 antiviruses couldn't find anything, but SMSreg is known to be a malicious virus and was detected by AVG.
    11-23-2014 05:59 PM
    However I still want to play it safe and want to get rid of SMSreg. Is there a way to uninstall it, instead of having it disabled? I don't know much about rooting phones and I feel like I'll end up bricking my new phone if I even tried lol so I'd rather not root it... Is there a way to remove it without having to root it?
    11-23-2014 06:02 PM
    However I still want to play it safe and want to get rid of SMSreg. Is there a way to uninstall it, instead of having it disabled? I don't know much about rooting phones and I feel like I'll end up bricking my new phone if I even tried lol so I'd rather not root it... Is there a way to remove it without having to root it?
    just leave it alone.
    androidyay likes this.
    11-23-2014 06:21 PM
    My PC experience leads me not to trust AVG. Their so-called antivirus for Windows frequently installs things that take over your home page, switch your search engine and change your default apps. If Avast and Lookout don't care about it, I wouldn't either and I'd uninstall AVG.
    androidyay likes this.
    11-23-2014 06:29 PM
    So I found it was apart of the system settings and I disabled it. I'm still not sure if it is a virus though, it seems pretty suspicious being that it is known to be a virus.
    The truth is it is in fact a virus. Some carriers will install it to keep track of your moves since it collects data on your phones IMEI, IMSI, IP address, phone number, etc and is a security risk since hackers can also obtain this information.

Since you have turned it off, it should no longer be a problem.
    androidyay likes this.
    11-23-2014 07:21 PM
    Thanks guys, the phone is a Blu phone from Amazon. It had many great reviews and it was pretty cheap so I wanted to try it out. The phone indeed is great, but I guess Blu is trying to spy on their consumers... I'm glad I could disable that function. Though it still doesn't feel completely clean since SMSpro still lurking there *shudder*
    11-23-2014 07:39 PM
    You can also read http://www.avgthreatlabs.com/virus-a...ndroid-smsreg/

BTW, Lookout and Samsung don't agree with each other. In order to keep Lookout from eating your battery for lunch in a Samsung phone, you have to turn off its main feature, live scanning. They're working on it, so it's best to keep it off Samsung phones until they find the problem and fix it.
    11-23-2014 09:51 PM
    You have follow 5 steps

1) Root android phone.

2) After the download system app safe remover from Google Play.

3)install it and open the app.

4)find SmsReg and uninstall it.

5)You are done!!!

Info:I had the same issue and it worked.

INFO:when opening the app a window will open and ask you if you want to allow the app to have root/super su permission. Click authorize.
    02-20-2015 04:57 AM