Can I read receipts on Android?

Lars124

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Read Receipts on Android

I think for this function, you need to download a separate messenger. For example Whats App.
Normaly, there's no app like iMessage included in android. :)

But I'm not 100% sure. Just wait for another advice. :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Welcome (almost) to Android. Unfortunately, although you see it baked into iPhones and iPads and Macs (one of the things I DO like about iDevices, actually), iMessage is NOT a standard messaging protocol. It's Apple's proprietary tech very much like BBM back in the day with BlackBerries before they made it available to other platforms. iMessage is, in fact, an extra app for iDevices. The only problem is, it's only available for Apple products, so it can't be used in other platforms. SMS does not support real time notifications (there are read receipts, but those are also optional and not in real time).

That being said, to achieve what you want you need the other party to install a 3rd party app, period. Read Receipts and Typing notifications are all offered by Facebook's Messenger, BlackBerry Messenger, Whatsapp, among others. Most, just like iMessage, give you the option NOT to send the read receipts (yes, your iFriend can choose to show whether the message has been read or not).

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Hey, no question is stupid, only stupid doubts that are kept :)

Whatsapp has been updated, and the latest one a couple of weeks ago added (to a lot of uproar) real time read receipts. For as long as I remember, it's had typing and 'last seen/online' status (it only appears on the top instead of in-line).

Facebook messenger has both as well, and in both you can opt out (Whatsapp currently doesn't let you turn off read receipts, only online status, but word is that the next update will let you turn this feature off so that your contacts don't know when you've read the messages). BlackBerry, the one that started it all, also has them and has had them since BlackBerry was king of the smartphone hill (in fact, ever since it was virtually the ONLY smartphone).

Hangouts, of course, is another favorite but I don't think it has a 'typing' notification... or I haven't noticed. You can use Hangouts also for SMS.

Monsieurjackb

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

Thanks again, you've been really helpful.

I'll end up doing loads more research before I do finally take the plunge I'm sure. Another thing I'm a little worried about is 'iMessage purgatory'. I'm sure you know what I'm on about, but it's where messages basically get lost during that initial transition. I think you're meant to turn off iMessage but I don't really want to do that, I'd like to keep it turned on, on my iPad if possible....that's the thing with Apple, you buy into their system and it bites you in the ***. Anyway, have you got any advice on dealing with it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Oh, yeah haha. Unfortunately you need to de-register your phone number if you want to port it to Android. If you'll be using a different number then you're good, but if you want to keep the same number, then you need to say good bye to iMessage. Your friends can, however, keep sending iMessages to you via your e-mail account. In my case, before I had an iPhone, I did have an iPod and iPad (briefly before I almost threw it to the wall in desperation and ended up giving it to my sister) and my friends can iMessage me there with my registered e-mail account.

Here are a couple of links that might help you prepare should you choose to take the plunge.
Issues with texts after moving to Android from iPhone? Here's an easy fix! | Android Central

How to remove your phone number from iMessage if you switch to Android | iMore

Monsieurjackb

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site

Ok thanks...ah that's a shame, if only Apple rolled out an iMessage app on android, then we'd all be fine. Not that they ever will, but then again I guess stranger things have happened. It'd be nice if it was a little easier to make the switch though I'm 99% sure I will anyway. The iPhone 6 just can't compete with the top android devices anymore, Android has come a looong way in the last couple of years.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it :)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

No problem, that's what we're all here for :)

And never say never... Apple said they'd never make a big-screen phone...and there you go. BlackBerry said they'd never release BBM to another platform... and there you go. Most iUsers say they'll never go over to 'the Droid side'... and there YOU go :)

I can't believe how funny it is to see people come up to my coworker all excited and ask 'Is that the new Note 4?!', see him reply in his most annoyed face with a blunt 'No. It's the iPhone 6 Plus' and see the excitement go away from the inquisitor's face, only saying 'Oh...' and slowly walking away. Then they realize I do have a Note 4 AND a Moto360 and excitement comes back :)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

It should be noted that even with iMessage, the other user has the option to turn off those read receipts. Of course, they are on by default...so most people probably don't turn them off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It should be noted that even with iMessage, the other user has the option to turn off those read receipts. Of course, they are on by default...so most people probably don't turn them off.

EvilMonkey!!! Long time no see!:D

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

1) A "read" receipt usually means either that the message has been received by the phone or that the user has opened the conversation. It doesn't mean that the user wasn't looking for something someone said yesterday and ignored your new message - you'll still be notified that it was "read". And, as EvilMonkey (LTNS) said, the recipient can turn that off. (Email receipts work the same way - they can be turned off.)

2) iMessage is owned by Apple and it's totally imcompatible with SMS, so you're never going to see iMessage on an Android phone (unless Google buys Apple). But since SMS is in the public domain, someone sending a message with iMessage can mark it to go as an SMS and that phone will consider the recipient to be using SMS from then on - both ways.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad