sim card and ATT

techie5

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
So I just called ATT and wanted to order a second sim card [second line] for my wife. I do not have the phone yet in had so she said I could not do it because she needed to assign a new sim card to the phone and needed the imei number from the phone. This lead to a discussion about whether I can take my sim card and put it in another ATT phone and use it. She said it would not work that each phone I use I have to register the imei number with the sim card. I don't understand. If this is the case, why do I read about people taking their sim card and putting it in other ATT phones and using it? She said I might be able to make calls and text, but downloading apps from google would not work. Could someone please explain how this works. What I want to do is keep my old phone, order a new one, and go back in forth with the sim card at will. She said I would have to call them each time I put it in each phone. Please explain!!! Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Could someone please explain how this works.
It's very simple. Some of the people AT&T hires couldn't find a clue in a field of clues so deep the clues were up to their eyes.

For a new phone they want the IMEI. Then put the SIM into any phone with AT&T's frequencies and the APN set to AT&T's values and it'll work. They don't want you doing it, but I don't want the IRS collecting tax from me - and AT&T and I have equal chances of getting what we went. (I regularly swap my SIM into a phone so old that it's branded Cingular. No problem with voice, text or data. I just need an adapter because that phone takes a larger SIM.)

techie5

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. But I am now wondering this: I just bought a used ATT phone from swappa. When I get it, will I be able to order a new sim card with a new number for it from ATT? I want to use it as a second line for my wife. Or because it was already used by someone else with ATT will they say I can't use the phone because someone else registered it? Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC